Login New Account
Cosplayer Ashley > Costume of Saber (Fate/Zero)

Most Recent Photo
Special Variation:
Battle Dress
Year Completed:
Construction Difficulty:
Runner-up/ Wild Card Team at Katsucon WCS Eastern Regional Qualifier
Costume worn at:
Anime Matsuri 2013
Katsucon 2013
Permanent Link:
About this Costume
Construction Details:
This costume was my first attempt at constructing this kind of extensive hard armor, and it was a real learning experience for me. Because I was worried about durability and wanted something that would keep its shape through a packing process, I decided to use sintra for this project. I flat patterned most of the armor, and was able to give the pieces the slight curves they needed with just a heat gun. The chest pieces and the skirt panels both snap onto a sort of undergarment/gambeson thing that keeps them in place. Because this costume was meant for stage, I took some liberties with the designs of the gloves and the boots in order to keep as much mobility as possible.

Excalibur was my first big wood-working project. It's build around a single piece of wood that creats the blade and continues full tang into the grip. I used a grinder to create the blade edges, and a combination of my dremel attachments and good old fashioned hand held wood carving tools to do the detailing. The handle is a section of a pre-fab bannister post that I salvaged for this project.

I took liberties with the design of Saber's cape, because I wanted the costume to be interesting from every side. The dragon on the back is about 50 hours worth of applique, couching, wire and bead work.

The dress is sewn as one piece, and has an optional bodice that can tie over the front to make it into the normal, non-armored Saber dress. All of the bias tape is handmade from dupioni silk, with couched cord embellishment added down the front section. I chose to line the dress in bamboo, because bamboo is apparently naturally antibacterial and anti-microbial, and I wanted to be able to sweat in this thing and not worry too much about it.

For the hem of the skirt I wanted to add something that would give her dress a more royal, ceremonial feel, and also look great on stage. The cross and fleur-de-lis designs are all done in 1.5 mm gold French wire. I had to hand cut each piece to the length I wanted, and then each section of wire is sewn onto the skirt like a bead. It was many, many hours of work, but I love the finished result! If you're interested in playing with French wire, we're giving away a package on our tumblr. You can enter that giveaway here until April 2nd:

Personal Thoughts:

You can also check out my partner's amazingly detailed Irisviel costume here:
Add a Comment
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 69
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 539
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 396
  • Photo 4
     Photo 4
    Comments 0 Views 317
  • Photo 5
     Photo 5
    Comments 0 Views 603
  • Photo 6
     Photo 6
    Comments 0 Views 328
  • Photo 7
     Photo 7
    Comments 0 Views 305
  • Photo 8
     Photo 8
    Comments 3 Views 378
  • Photo 9
     Photo 9
    Comments 0 Views 316
  • Photo 10
     Photo 10
    Comments 0 Views 437
  • Photo 11
     Photo 11
    Comments 0 Views 282
  • Photo 12
     Photo 12
    Comments 0 Views 322
  • Photo 13
     Photo 13
    Comments 0 Views 385
  • Photo 14
     Photo 14
    Comments 0 Views 303
  • Photo 15
     Photo 15
    Comments 0 Views 300
  • Photo 16
     Photo 16
    Comments 0 Views 59
  • Photo 17
     Photo 17
    Comments 0 Views 57
  • Photo 18
     Photo 18
    Comments 0 Views 62
  • Photo 19
     Photo 19
    Comments 0 Views 11
  • Photo 20
     Photo 20
    Comments 0 Views 9
  • Photo 21
     Photo 21
    Comments 0 Views 9
  • Photo 22
     Photo 22
    Comments 0 Views 8
  • Photo 23
     Photo 23
    Comments 0 Views 7
  • Photo 24
     Photo 24
    Comments 0 Views 24
  • Photo 25
     Photo 25
    Comments 0 Views 17

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!