Login New Account
Cosplayer Ion > Costume of Drocell (Black Butler)

Most Recent Photo
Black Butler
Year Completed:
Construction Difficulty:
3rd Place Journeyman - Otakon 2010
Costume worn at:
Anime USA 2010
AnimeNEXT 2010
ColossalCon (Cleveland) 2011
Katsucon 2010
Otakon 2010
Permanent Link:
About this Costume
Construction Details:
This guy is so odd, adorable, creepy, and hilarious all rolled into one. I was cosplaying with a group, obviously all the major characters got called, so it was a toss-up between Drocell and Viscount Druitt. The fact that Drocell has a barrel organ totally won me over. But where's the monkey? I may have to add one in for lulz. To be very honest this costume started out as a train-wreck! I was using a mens pattern in XS which turned out so much larger than the measurements said it would be. so I ended up taking in the coat about 6" on either side. I decided I liked red shiny satin for lining, satin is one letter off from Satan but they both have similar qualities. At least I could hide a zipper in the jacket. The hat was perhaps the only thing that went according to plan. I found a tutorial for making those mini-top hats and made my own pattern. I think it came out nicely since I was able to get the taper in there. The hat base is plastic canvas (also one of Satan's craft materials, methinks), but the hat is darn near uncrushable. I love working with felt! It never shreds, I can't melt it, it's wonderful! I am repurposing my tuxedo shirt from my catering days. No sense making a shirt that is exactly like one I own already. The ruffle thing... that was fun. You'd think they could be nice and give the guy a whole ruffle skirt, but he just gets half. -Pants v.1.0 were repurposed. I used some black pants I had left from catering and cut the legs off to make cuffs. it worked, they were a bit worn from the heavy use over the years. They also had pleats which I stitched down, pleats are so ew. -Pants v.2.0 were a bit troublesome to make. I always suck at making pants unless they have elastic waistbands so I ripped up the old ones - copied the pieces, then crafted some shorts with cuffs. Zip flys usually elude me but I gave it a stab, and it looks sufficient. This costume required 20 buttons, it's a little obscene to go into Joanns and buy 7 cards of the same buttons. I definitely got the, "So whatcha makin'?" question. Music box was finished just in time for AnimeNEXT 2010 with help from my father. He basically milled the wood and did the wood cutting using the table saw for me. Together we made rabbet joints on the box itself and mitered the joints on the front frame. As this is a decorative woodwork piece it is held together with wood glue and no nails/brads. We had to change the design of the front of the music box to accommodate the speakers I installed, aside from this, it looks great. I used a handle off a printmaking tool and the metal part of a paint roller to make the crank handle. Footman's loops came from Brettun's Village trunk supply store. The wood we used is white oak... it's sturdy. LOL and obviously heavy. If I get tired, I can sit on the box and it's fine. I used Minwax mahogany stain on the wood and applied 2 coats to get a nice rich color and of course poly coating followed. The speaker fabric and the decorative part with the fleur de lis are fabrics wrapped over inserts.
Wig Details
Wig Brand
Mona Lisa
Wig Name
Original Color:
#27 Strawberry Blonde
Styling Time
Styling Notes
I used clippers to trim the back of the wig and angle it. Then used a steamer to set the curled edges. Tutorial here: http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.com/gallery/24414389#/d2cz3yc
Add a Comment
  • Photo 1
     Photo 1
    Comments 0 Views 253
  • Photo 2
     Photo 2
    Comments 0 Views 201
  • Photo 3
     Photo 3
    Comments 0 Views 357

Sorry, you must be a registered user of and logged in to view and add comments. Either log in or register now!