Cosplayer Hikarilight > Costume of Kaito Tenjo from Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
This outfit was probably the most annoying thing to make two weeks before the con. It was a last minute costume and I felt like I had the time to do it. I finished it the day before I had to leave but that's thanks to staying up late and waking up earlier to get some things done. I definitely do need to fix it up after wearing it.
The jacket itself wasn't that bad but it was annoying to make because of the bias tape. I hate inner corners, they are so annoying to do. I had to redo a lot on the bottom but I kind of figured as much since the corners are not that wide. The collar was definitely difficult to pattern. I had to pattern it a few times out for it to work. I also ironed in heavy interfacing, ripped it out and then ironed in light interfacing. I think I should have used medium interfacing. Everything else went fine with the jacket. The turtleneck, on the other hand, I didn't construct the collar properly or accurately so I have to redo that for the next time.
I didn't have to sew anything else so everything remaining was props. The deck boxes on the side are functional. I had a few issues trying to get it to work but I figured it out. I'm glad I made it functional! The back box isn't functional. Attach the boxes to the belt was also an issue. I decided to build in straps to it and it worked fine. The placement on the belt and the belt loops I added to the jacket for extra support need to be readjusted because I can't put my arms down.
The leg cuffs are just craft foam that I slid on and off. It was very last minute but it worked fine. I don't think I'll be remaking that.
- Personal Thoughts:
- I decided to watch Zexal on a whim since card games are my thing now and I don't regret it at all. All the characters are lovable and the show is just pretty awesome!
- Styling Notes
- I had followed Malindachan's tutorial on making this wig with a few minor changes to make it more transportable. The blonde cone base is separate from the green crown. I had taken away almost all the wefts in the back and replaced it with a cone template and stuffing. I had glued on the wefts (from Arda Wigs) I removed to cover the areas and the remaining hair on the wig couldn't. I used hairpsray as well to keep the hair down as much as possible. The green crown was made on a hairband that was pinned to the wig. The crown was made with a template and hair being glued on and hairsprayed. I just hot glued wefts for the side bangs. I made those side bangs too wide so I need to adjust for the next time. I also think I need to hair spray them a bit because the crown looks darker than the side bangs even though it's the same wig.
- Wig Review
- I thought I had to remake the cone but after wearing it, I like it. I wanted to make it more natural yet still keep it accurate. This type of wig was definitely new for me but it was definitely a learning experience!
Add a Comment