Cosplayer Chunlichan > Costume of June Lin Milliam from Star Gladiator
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
- This is largest costume undertaking I've ever done, I think. At least one of the hardest. The pattern was a modified ice skater's costume. In order to get the sleeves to stay up I made "pockets" of fabric and put craft foam in them. Then cut open the sleeves and attached those. The front and back decorations are all hand-sewn on. (I didn't want a seam line in the sequins) I dyed the garter belt myself. I tried to do the same (since I did it w/my Nanako costume) with the thigh-highs but it didn't come out right, so I had to go buy some pink ones & cut off all of the bows that came on them. I sewed wooden craft heart shapes painted w/acrylic to the garter belt. The "knee pads" are paper mache, for lack of a better option. The boots were purchased, but since they were not long enough, I cut a men's sock and used it to create the illusion of a longer boot under the knee pads. The wig. Oh man. I re-used my old Nanako wig and re-styled it. Took the whole thing down. I sewed a headband that had holes into it into the mesh cap of the wig. I then fitted suction cups into the holes of the headband, which then attached to copper tubing that I ran the hair up. (you still with me? lol) I had to purchase some extra hair exstentions, which I rolled into those "cinnabon" shapes. Those were then sewed onto the copper tubing, which the hair running up was also sewed onto, using fishing line. This same fishing line is also hold the hair together (so it doesn't flip out) not enough hair on the bottom of the wig, so I tucked the remainder underneath my wig cap so it appeared that it was cut when it wasn't. Phew! Green hair pieces were made of quilt binding w/hand sewed beads.
- Personal Thoughts:
- June's entire costume defies gravity due to the fact that Star Gladiator takes place in space. It's hard to figure out how to make something like this, which is why it was so difficult of a costume. This was my dream cosplay for about 5 years, and it's finally done! yay!