Pattern needed.

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
kais xx

Pattern needed.

Post by kais xx » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Since I can`t find anyone to sell or commission a Kairi KH2 Pink Dress costume, I`m going to end up having a friend make it, [hopefully] or i`ll crack at it...

Can anyone scan/mail/fax me patterns?
i love someone.Image

This, happens to be my baby. <3]

PinqFuu

Post by PinqFuu » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:24 pm

Hahahaa, this is silly. No one just has a pattern for everything they see as far as cosplay. Of course there are the few as in Kimono and Hakama, but those are traditional clothing with patterns dating back thousands of years.

Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2 is a fictional character with a costume design not inteded for reality. And that's why cosplayers, at least I think, challenge themselves into making something ficticious- possible!

There are no doubt people interested in commissioning, but if you're not agreeing with their prices, that creates a large problem. You need to be reasonable with a commissioner as they are making something for you out of their time, and buying supplies. Which varries constantly.

Cosplay is not a cheap hobby. It can be, but it will never look good.

As far as having a pattern similar to Kairi's. I'd recommend creating your own pattern. As it seems she only has princess seams with zippers. It's a simple costume, but very technical. I hope your friend has a lot of experience in sewing to create that.

If you need further assistance. I'd recommend going to your library and picking up books on sewing so you can become acquainted with common terms and how things are done. This will help open doors for you and realize how much work goes into costuming and garment construction itself.

If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them in the future. Good luck!
it's hard being pinq

Rika Nakamura

Post by Rika Nakamura » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:56 pm

PinqFuu wrote:Hahahaa, this is silly. No one just has a pattern for everything they see as far as cosplay.
There are some people that do make patterns for people and sell them. I know that this one lady sells Sailor Moon patterns, and another lady on Cosplay.com and make custom patterns, but it's true, that there's none in joann's or anything.

Nya~ I'm sorry I can't help you with your costume Kais.

PinqFuu

Post by PinqFuu » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:26 am

Rika Nakamura wrote:
PinqFuu wrote:Hahahaa, this is silly. No one just has a pattern for everything they see as far as cosplay.
There are some people that do make patterns for people and sell them. I know that this one lady sells Sailor Moon patterns, and another lady on Cosplay.com and make custom patterns, but it's true, that there's none in joann's or anything.

I'm sorry, let me clarify myself, there are no Commercial patterns for cosplay. People who do take the time to create patterns for it are rare gems in the cosplay community. Though, you have to specially ask for them so you have your size and your costume. So there is no easy pattern, that I felt she was implying on looking for, for her particular costume.
it's hard being pinq

clover_keat

Post by clover_keat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Rika Nakamura wrote:

yeah but sailor moon is REALLY old and popular, plus -as far as I know all the sailor scouts wear the same costume just color variations. Ah-and also sailor moon costumes are basically modified school girl outfits^^

I'm going to be starting a cosplay commission site this summer, and as far as I know the prices will be reasonable, (material costs, 2.50$ an hour work fee, shipping and handling^^) hey, it's a good idea, I make all my cosplays from scrap! rarelly ever use patterns, unless I can find them, but I always end up adjusting them anyway because it'll never fit perfectly.

I have some advise for the person that started the comment of this thread. If you really can't find a cheap commission-er than you could always buy some scrap material and just experiment with your friend!(That's what I do with some of my tougher costumes, before using the expensive fabrics like pleather and fur!)
You could even just buy some interfacing too, just play around with it for a while adjust it to your size, maybe even remake it! Once your done and happy with it you can take the stiches out and use that as a pattern^_^

Hope I've helped out a little, sorry if I didn't^_^;

clover_keat

Post by clover_keat » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:10 pm

PinqFuu wrote:
Rika Nakamura wrote:

I'm sorry, let me clarify myself, there are no Commercial patterns for cosplay. People who do take the time to create patterns for it are rare gems in the cosplay community. Though, you have to specially ask for them so you have your size and your costume. So there is no easy pattern, that I felt she was implying on looking for, for her particular costume.
Well, also she could try e-bay if she doesn't want to make it^^

NOTE: most people don't reaslize, but making costumes is VERY time consuming! If you can actually find some one that does GOOD commissions, I think you should be ready to pay them the amount assumed...um...well I would advise people to have at least 300$, probly only half of that is actually needed, but at least you have all the money and you'd get your costume^^ You can afford the extra shipping (unless they live near...um...) And if any parts of it break, you can get it replaced! YAY!

janmurphy

Post by janmurphy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:50 pm

Ah, I do realize that this is slightly off topic, but did anyone know that name of the person who makes the patterns on cosplay.com? Im very interested in patternmaking.
www.janchan.com - Cosplay Resource Site
Now with 100% more GINTAMA!!
Naruto/Bleach/FMA/and more.
Patterns (clothing/plushie), Hidden Village diplomas, book covers, iron-ons,
tattoos, paper animals, character book scans, e-cards, and a lot more.

PinqFuu

Post by PinqFuu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:07 pm

clover_keat wrote:
Rika Nakamura wrote:

yeah but sailor moon is REALLY old and popular, plus -as far as I know all the sailor scouts wear the same costume just color variations. Ah-and also sailor moon costumes are basically modified school girl outfits^^

I'm going to be starting a cosplay commission site this summer, and as far as I know the prices will be reasonable, (material costs, 2.50$ an hour work fee, shipping and handling^^) hey, it's a good idea, I make all my cosplays from scrap! rarelly ever use patterns, unless I can find them, but I always end up adjusting them anyway because it'll never fit perfectly.

I have some advise for the person that started the comment of this thread. If you really can't find a cheap commission-er than you could always buy some scrap material and just experiment with your friend!(That's what I do with some of my tougher costumes, before using the expensive fabrics like pleather and fur!)
You could even just buy some interfacing too, just play around with it for a while adjust it to your size, maybe even remake it! Once your done and happy with it you can take the stiches out and use that as a pattern^_^

Hope I've helped out a little, sorry if I didn't^_^;
My goodness, don't you think you're selling yourself short by asking ONLY 2.50 an hour for labor?! Are you doing it for the love of costume? Because that would be my only guess. Standard seamstresses commission work SHOULD be AT LEAST! AT LEAST!!! $20 an hour!

As far as Ebay goes, I've been hearing a lot of scams happening, especially costume commission wise. So I wouldn't recommend that either.
it's hard being pinq

PinqFuu

Post by PinqFuu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:14 pm

janmurphy wrote:Ah, I do realize that this is slightly off topic, but did anyone know that name of the person who makes the patterns on cosplay.com? Im very interested in patternmaking.
There are a lot of people on Cosplay.com that make their own patterns. Are you talking about one particular person in general, or...?

If you're interested in patternmaking, I would take a sewing class at a local sewing store, they offer classes for great prices and usually the instructor is someone who's been sewing for years. There are also very pricey textile books out there to help make patterns. I had to purchase said textile book for my fashion classes for flat pattern drafting. It was helpful but also not helpful as it had mistakes that cost me some grades. They have a revision out as well.

Pattern Making for Fashion Design. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013111 ... oding=UTF8

Hopefully they revised the sleeve cap problem.
it's hard being pinq