Swimsuit

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
*B*

Swimsuit

Post by *B* » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm making a Devil Hunter Yohko swimsuit for an anime swimsuit contest at a local con. Does anyone know If one of the sewing companies makes a swimsuit pattern I can mod, or perhaps a webpage that might have a pattern. I've never done a swimsuit before, and I'm not sure if I can make it right by making a pattern from scratch.
Thank you,
-Skuld
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai
Kaoru in Kingdom Hearts: Another Side
Winry Rockbell in Full Metal Alchemist
Skuld in Kingdom Hearts: The Keyblade War

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 am

Well, I can give you a slight hand, but since I don't know what exactly this costume looks like, I'm going to pass by your general question.

Have you sewn on stretch fabric before (such as swimsuit matterial) or do you plan on using something else?

Depending on your sewing level (and I probably should have clicked the link to your ACP page before hand) this could be easy, mild, or difficult. I don't suggest it if your novice, I wouldn't touch stretch fabric if my life depended on it personally and I'd rather by a white suit and dye it and do whatever I can with doing as little sewing on the stretch as I can. *snigger* But that's because I'm lame.

On the other hand, if you can sew on stretch good for you. This brings us back to your original question. To make a pattern or modify a pattern, that is thy question?

If you;
~Enjoy sewing on stretch
~Like making custom patterns unlike everyone elses
~Are not lame like moi

Do whatever you feel more comfortable doing. Since I don't know what this looks like, but I'm willing to bet it's something insane (this is anime/manga which is always near the insane).

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:41 am

Yes, there are swimsuit and leotard patterns available. Try searching here:
http://sewingpatterns.com/

I know Green Pepper brand has a leotard/ice skating pattern so maybe they have a swimwear one as well. You can also search the pattern companies' sites like Simplicity.com and Mccall.com.

*B*

Post by *B* » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:47 pm

I did look on MCall's website, but didn't find anything. I did just look on the other site you gave me and found something almost exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
-Skuld
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

WINGS

Post by WINGS » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:19 pm

Stretch fabric hard to work with? It all depends on the fabric itself some of it is really rolly and some of it almost lays flat. I actually like to work with it cause It seems a little bit easier cause it has a lot more give than a non stretchy fabric. My own personal opinion on that. I think it all depends on the person I guess.
WINGS
We will be reborn...

WINGS "I can fly with my words"

*B*

Post by *B* » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:25 am

Usually when I work with stretch fabric I hem it by hand. It's easier that way, and I can do it in the car on the way to the con!
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:48 am

*B* wrote:I did look on MCall's website, but didn't find anything. I did just look on the other site you gave me and found something almost exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
-Skuld
You're welcome. ^_^

Swimsuits are a little different from other stretchy projects because you have to make them with elastic in the leg & arm openings and around the neckline as well. This requires stretching as you sew which needs to be done carefully, or you may break your machine needle.

In any case, good luck with your project. ^_^

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:19 pm

mrs.tomoe wrote:
*B* wrote:I did look on MCall's website, but didn't find anything. I did just look on the other site you gave me and found something almost exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!
-Skuld
You're welcome. ^_^

Swimsuits are a little different from other stretchy projects because you have to make them with elastic in the leg & arm openings and around the neckline as well. This requires stretching as you sew which needs to be done carefully, or you may break your machine needle.

In any case, good luck with your project. ^_^
*points* Is what I mean with disliking strechy! *tears*