Where to begin with any 1st costume?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
ikasamaHimuyA

Where to begin with any 1st costume?

Post by ikasamaHimuyA » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:58 pm

What is the FIRST thing you do when you make your own costume? I have no idea where to start. I think I know, but I want to be sure. It is Haku from Naruto. --->
http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/84/e9/fb_1_b.JPG
http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/86/50/f5_1_b.JPG
If they dont work :( but yeah. Can somebody try and help me even the slightest bit on how to get through this? Thank you so much <3

Arikusu

Post by Arikusu » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:02 am

I sugest doing the hardest parts first, then finish with the easiest.... that way, it won't be a pain as you are trying to finish it because it will all be easier :3 (*woot for lazyness* ^^; )

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:59 am

and the money thing comes into paly.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun May 01, 2005 5:58 pm

The FIRST thing I do when I start a costume is to do a character sketch. The outfit, at least, if you're not good with bodies- from all concievable sides.

Well, maybe not all concievable sides...

Then I sketch the different parts of it, all the while taking measurements and writing them down on the sketches. When I'm done, I have a mental pattern and all that needs to be done is sketch things out on fabric with chalk. Then again, more detailed stuff would require patterns. For that, go to the fabric store (Joann's has really good sales sometimes- like 99 cent patterns- I once got about eighty dollars worth of patterns for about seven) and look through the pattern books.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

bailey
Celestial Cosplayer

Post by bailey » Mon May 02, 2005 10:50 am

I agree with mindtailor! I do body sketches as well as sketching every small detail I can think of. The earrings, the hair, the pattern on the clothes. You also need to look for as many reference pictures as possible, spend a good hour or two looking for as many good pictures as you can get. Don't settle for bad pictures just because you're tired of looking!
Second thing to do is look for a pattern! Los of times if you look really hard you can find a pattern to modify pretty easily and that makes the whole thing just that much easier.
Whe you do that I'd say get started on the actual body of your costume. Get all of the big sewing done before going on to any details.