Cosplayer Rie > Costume of Jenna (Golden Sun: The Lost Age)
About this Costume
- Construction Details:
Version 2 (worn at AI 2015)
- Vest: All new. Made out of a random knit fabric I had lying around. Single-layer, unlined, trimmed with bias tape. The eyelets are the XL size, and I put some iron-on interfacing underneath where they are just to keep the fabric in place a little better.
- Props: Both the sword and the Mars Djinni plushie are new. I'm also not sure where either of them are from because they were both gifts from my husband.
- Skirt: Same as in version one, with some edits. The main brown part is broadcloth, and the lighter brown part is twill. Closes with snaps, and it's actually just a partial closure this time instead of a row of snaps that go all the way down the back.
- Cape: Same as in version one, with some edits. Two colors of purple broadcloth. I did some handsewing to get it to lay the way I wanted.
- Boot toppers - Same as in version one, with some edits. The same tan twill used for the bottom of the skirt. They also have sew-on snaps on the inside so that they can go around a hole in the boots--I didn't put the hole there, but figured it would work great for this purpose!!
- Boots: Same as in version one. Purchased from Amazon--they're Sebago Women's Groundswell Boots in brown.
- Buttons: Same as in version one. Made out of model magic clay and spray-painted gold. They attach to the cape via safety pins on the backs.
- Shirt: Same as in version one. Was originally a white turtleneck shirt that was a size too large. I dyed it pink, chopped off the collar and sewed on a new one with some random white stretch fabric I had, and sewed up the sides to fit me better.
Version 1 (worn at AI 2012) - The whole thing was actually pretty easy. I just used my old Halloween costume as a base, and worked from there. The most effort went into the vest. Mitered corners are hard... I sewed in some hook-and-eyes for closure, and custom-dyed the rope. It was my first time doing eyelets, and I used the hammer method with and extra-large eyelets... Of course I ended up hitting myself a few times, but it was totally worth it! I'm really proud of the end result.
- Personal Thoughts:
- I JUST LOVE THIS SERIES YOU GUYS. I first made this costume in 8th grade as my "final Halloween costume"--I wanted to go out with a bang. It was much simpler and was definitely more of a Halloween costume than a cosplay. I remade it this year because I couldn't get over the nostalgia. My husband is joining me as Isaac this year!!!
- Styling Notes
- Literally just wore it out of the bag. Probably should have cut it because it's so long that it hits the backs of my knees, haha. Oh well!
- Wig Review
- I'm only wearing the ponytail clip in the pictures—I got lucky because the Spanish Brown color that Arda has is apparently almost the exact same color as my actual hair! I had issues with the base wig, so that’s why the low rating. It’s really nice quality though and I wish I could wear the whole thing without causing myself massive pain!!
Add a Comment