Edea Costume

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
FeyCharmer

Edea Costume

Post by FeyCharmer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:49 pm

Anyone have any advice on where to get started on making this Edea costume?!

Nymph

p.s. If the link doesnt work e-mail me please

[url=http://c-uncut.com/media/ff8-edea2.jpg]Edea[/url]

glass snow

Post by glass snow » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:34 pm

Well..this is a technical costume..But here are some starting tips.
Make a plan for EVERYTHING, and do some tests if you are not sure.
Draw out all that you want to do instead of just "doing it"
Take the time to find the best options for materials out there.
And a biggy GOOD DYE for her dress..she does have a fade from black to grey
So..I would suggest going to dharmatrading.com..they have the best dyes online!!!
And ask questions..do a costume search for edea on here, and I am sure they will help you out!!
Choice of faith should not be somthing that seperates us, but somthing that ties us..love is the ultimate key.

tddm.org - nice daily words
homestarrunner.com <------ GO THERE ITS SOOO HALARIOUSE!

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:15 pm

I don't really think that back cape piece is practical without either ruining the line of the dress of a speciality metals shop. lightest I can figure that being is about 30 pounds, assuming hollow foam build, and most of that would be weight pulling away from the body.

The only way I'd even think about doing that piece is by molding it a single piece with a custom (mostly metal and fiberglass) bra. Even then I'd expect it to have less then a 3 hour lifespan before somebody ran into it and snapped the thing.

I rate this costume with a diffculty on par with a wing zero or other fullbody mech. Not something I'd personally want to even try.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:09 pm

The only way I'd even think about doing that piece is by molding it a single piece with a custom (mostly metal and fiberglass) bra.
O_O sounds painful...

but I've seen Edea done before and I don't think it was that troublesome... *looks for pictures*
Edea

then again, it might have been. I wouldn't know.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:46 pm

*looks*

Yah, what they did was run a board (from the pic, I'd say 1/4 inch plywood) all the way down her back and halfway down her legs. That's one of those "ruin the line of the dress" options that I don't like, not to mention I'd hate to try to walk with that thing hitting my calves all day.

Not that I'd want to wear that under any conditions, I don't look good in a slinky black dress.
Real men sew!

Koji

Post by Koji » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:10 am

You're in for a haul here. ^^;;

Well, the dress is simple enough. You can either go ahead and buy a long black dress, cut and alter the bottom to create that petal-ly effect, get yourself a pair of matching black gloves that goes all the way up your arm, and get a black feather boa thing and attach that to the neckline of the dress. (You may have to alter the neckline itself in order to get that... Err.. Plunging effect. X3

(Mind you, this could prove expensive)

Either that, or find a pattern for a long black dress, alter it and do the other things I had mentioned. ^^;; What ever your budget allows.

Mmm. For the fan-thing on her back. You can either...

- Go ahead and cut each prong out of a lightweight wood, fix it up and paint it gold, then cutting a fine slot in the bottom prong, slide the cape fabric in and glue it to hold it.

Or... I would have no idea. ^^;;

Nevertheless - it would be interesting to see. Becareful though, the cape would be a horror to walk around in. Best of luck!
-- Koji Koji

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:15 pm

I prophecize quite a bit of pain in this...
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:10 pm

Laura92 wrote:I prophecize quite a bit of pain in this...
Yah, the least painful way I can think of to keep it on involves a backbrace, and that defeats the purpose of the slinky black dress.
Real men sew!