How do I come across making a very larg belt?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Neko~Kaolla

How do I come across making a very larg belt?

Post by Neko~Kaolla » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:04 pm

I am doing a Beatrix costume for Katsucon 2005 and I don't know how to make that large belt. Any tips or hints?

I was thinking some sort of vinyl or something and putting some quilting batting in it and then figure out a way to make that large buckle... Any better ideas?
Last edited by Neko~Kaolla on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother 'cause it's already screwed."
Cosplayer since 2002.

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:09 pm

Hrm. The cosplay director for JACON wore one at this year's JACON. I would look to see if she's on cosplay.com (which she probably is, but I'm not sure) and PM her asking her how she did it because the costume was just gorgeous, or look on the JACON website and see if it either has a forum or contact info.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Neko~Kaolla

Post by Neko~Kaolla » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:03 pm

I might ask my friend McKayla... hers is the best I have seen.

http://www.fairydustfashions.com/costum ... atrix.html

She was a judge there... this might be the same person.
Cosplayer since 2002.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:57 pm

I have this belt that I bought at a garage sale that's about 3 inches tall. It looks like the outer layer is a thin vinyl with the edges all folded under and topstitched onto a single layer of leatherette or super-thick interfacing. You'll probably want to use some kind of leather punch to make the holes & stuff for the buckle.

You'll definitely have to make the buckle yourself because not only is it huge, it's uniquely patterned.

Neko~Kaolla

Post by Neko~Kaolla » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:05 pm

And I have absolutely no clue on how I am going to come across making my own belt buckle... At least I have time.
Cosplayer since 2002.

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:14 pm

With my special, I say wood with vinyl, but that doesn't work too well. Maybe a plastic material would work nicely for the buckle. You can just create a mold and go from there.

Neko~Kaolla

Post by Neko~Kaolla » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:30 am

Shinigami-X wrote:With my special, I say wood with vinyl, but that doesn't work too well. Maybe a plastic material would work nicely for the buckle. You can just create a mold and go from there.
You make it sound like something everyone has done before... and that I have the budget to do that... =^.^=''

I have never worked with plastic before.
Cosplayer since 2002.

Tia

Post by Tia » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:25 pm

Yep, that's her alright (at least I think she runs cosplay there, I'm not certain). Yes, that's a really beautiful costume she made. ^_^

What I would personally do for the belt is have a fiberglass or resin buckle made and then just use the regular cheap yet nice looking black sturdy vinyl for the fabric. It'd probably be the lightest way of making it. You definitely will need to consider comfort and weight of the costume. It seemed to me that her biggest problem was trying to be able to see with that wig on. I must admit, I have the same problem sometimes. But that wig was huge. 0.o;;
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.