Kakashi/Jounin Vest

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Shinigami-X

Kakashi/Jounin Vest

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:52 pm

I've been trying out different methods of making the vest, but I seem to have major problems with the front pockets. If you've seen it before, I mean the two sets of three pockets that Kakashi keeps his scrolls in. I've tried about 5 different techniques but none of them even LOOK right. Also, I'm having a difficult time making the spiral patch found on the backs of the vests. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Maybe I'll be able to share the tip with all my friends. XD

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:25 pm

hm... I've seen a site where they sell patches and stuff for the naruto series... if I can't find it, I'm sure somebody else can, it's the same site that makes the sandals
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Lyte

Post by Lyte » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:16 pm

www.konohaimports.com for the patches

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:15 pm

Thanks for the site. I'll consider buying those, but is there a cheaper way to make them? Maybe sew them myself? I dunno if the sewing machine can do that though =/ I'll also have a problem with getting the edge made correctly. My skills with a sewing machine aren't the best, but they're pretty good, I guess.

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:57 am

It's an advanced skill. Pretty much, it's just a ton of embroidery using a zig-zag stitch. The same exact thing you use for button holes.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:23 pm

I've never done button holes before. Am I supposed to get as close to the edge as possible or make it directly on the edge? so far, I'm thinking of getting a flat peive of clothe and sewing red string on it so that it becomes stiff. Then maybe use a washable marker to draw the spiral in and sew over it with the zigzag. The only problem now is just making the edges.

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:13 pm

Hmm. It's not the same color thread as the fabric, is it? Because if they were the same color, you could leave excess and then sew the lines and trim off the excess and you probably wouldn't be able to notice it. But because they are different colors, you might need to either try to sew right on the edge (but because you're new to cosplay this could be tricky) Or you could leave the excess and then fold the excess under when you're applying it to the heat bond or glue or whatever you're using to attach the patch to the vest so that you won't see it. Those are the only ideas I can come up with right now, though.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm new to cosplay, but I worked in groups to create costumes for asian plays in the past. I've done things from business suits to priestess outfits. I also helped others make cosplay outfits and props, so I'm slightly above new. My sewing skills are alright but I'd say I'm more of a woodworker though.... Don't think that would help with the spiral.

For the patch, I might just take a thick red cloth and sew the spiral on and then maybe use some elastic plastic for the edges. It seems a lot easier and I can make it pretty even.

Another question I have is what do you think I should use to make the vest a bit stiff? I was thinking about cardboard but that would make sewing much harder. Maybe cotton sheets would do?

janmurphy

Post by janmurphy » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:11 am

You could use an iron on. I have the swirl graphic on my site in with the iron ons, but I used it on the sleeves, not the vest. I use the iron ons for black tshirts, you can get them at staples and places where they sell specialty printer paper.
http://www.cosplay.janchan.com/naruto.html
I think youll have to go over a few pages, I just linked the main printables page.

Cotton works well for giving that extra stiffness. So does using a material like nylon, but you probably already have your stuff.

PS Theres also a printable book cover for Come Come Paradise on that page, something no Kakashi should be without.
www.janchan.com - Cosplay Resource Site
Now with 100% more GINTAMA!!
Naruto/Bleach/FMA/and more.
Patterns (clothing/plushie), Hidden Village diplomas, book covers, iron-ons,
tattoos, paper animals, character book scans, e-cards, and a lot more.