Need help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Pokemon fan

Need help

Post by Pokemon fan » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:23 pm

Hi. I am working on this charzard mascot costume but I can't think of a way to do the hands or feet. Any sugestions.

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:31 pm

get some gloves and add on them, thats easy for the hands. The feet can be converted slippers.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Tia

Post by Tia » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:08 pm

I think you could probably use the method I would use for sailor scouts, which is kind of a double-glove with stuffing in the middle. Pretty much, you can either make or buy (if you get really frustrated making the gloves) a pair, you can get a decent pair of white gloves from Party City for three bucks, but if you want ones that will hold up a bit better you'd want to get satin ones from Pearl, a bridal supply place, or I think I saw some at Wal Mart the other day.

Make the shape that you want the glove to look like with the outer material, sew it together, then put one of the gloves on and push the stuffing down repeatedly, putting in more and more until it's full, or your hand can fit comfortably with the charizard hand looking right. You'll need a friend of yours who is good at not poking you with pins to do this right. When the glove is full to the point that you want it to be, have the friend pin the two gloves together while they are still on your hand. Then make a regular seam by folding the fabric over a 1/4", stitch it in place, trim it, and fold it over again and stitch it in place so you have a nice clean edge.

I think you should be able to do the same thing with the feet, but you won't necessarily need a friend, unless it's a little difficult to maneuver with the feet on. You could either take an old pair of shoes or buy a cheap pair of slippers/flip flops and base it off that. Just make sure that if you use the flip-flops you'll need to have the same inner fabric like the glove you used before, so it'd be a bit more work than just putting a little bit more stuffing over the slippers. I think it would probably be a good idea to make the feet a tiny bit loose on you and have some elastic in them so they are easy to take on and put off and yet they won't slide too much. I don't know enough about pokemon to help you any more, though. I would hvae to do a little research on it. Hope this helps! ^_^
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:48 pm

I agree with Tia on the gloves, and I would probably try to use slippers (the kind with the elastic-y top, and cut out the shape of the bottom of the foot out of some material that won't shred (felt will get really gross after walking around on it). then cut out fur (or whatever you're going to use) in the shape of the toes, and sew them together like a half of a pair of gloves (not exactly, but close enough).

I want to see pictures when you're done! (I've always wanted to do the half-suit thing that that pokefan has on Pkmn Ruby)
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Pokemon fan

Post by Pokemon fan » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:37 am

thanks