Gunblade help?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Sammei

Gunblade help?

Post by Sammei » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:47 am

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post, so if I do something wrong or break some etiquette rule, I apologize in advance. But anyways! I'm planning on cosplaying as fem-Squall for a convention, but I don't have all the pieces complete yet(hopefully next year), but I was wondering if anyone would have any tips or where I could even BEGIN on trying to make a gunblade. Squall is from the game Final Fantasy 8. I tried finding a good picture of his gunblade, but there aren't really any. Hehe. I would appreciate any tips, seeing as how this is the first weapon I'm going to try to make.. I see people in pictures who make the gunblades look so great, and I don't know how they do it. Hehe. Thanks! :D

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:42 pm

paper mache around a fake toy gun and use wire, tape, paper, and a whole lot of glue!
or you can just take the easy way out like my friend, if you just happen to have about $90 laying around, and buy one off e-bay
I want to help save the world... if only I could remember how?

Sammei

Post by Sammei » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:16 pm

Thanks, +Kohyoh+! I appreciate it. ^.^

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:20 pm

no prob!
i'ld do the paper mache if i were you... but use glue and water instead of flour... the flour gives off an awful smell after a couple days...

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:47 am

I made my recent one out of pine wood. Turned out great, it's very durable *knows how she randomly shoves things places*, and it holds up to a lot of bang. It takes longer to make and you need to have some level of skill (I usually ask my step-dad to help me) but it lasts much longer and can hold up to fangirls asking if they can hold it and pose with it.

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:01 am

true... and yes it calls for alot of skill to pull it off... i know cutting the wooden in the exact shape you want it is a pain in the butt

blue_eyed_fairy

Post by blue_eyed_fairy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:56 am

the shape should not be to hard to cut out of wood, very tru with a soft wood like pine. then for the barel you can use a pvc pipe cut in half and attach to eather side. paint according and walla! if you wanna get fancy you could burn the logo into the blade with a wood burning kit.
"Your eyes may be the window to your soul,
but your zipper is the window to you underwear....."

I staff AAC!
play with me at anotheranime con.com

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:16 pm

See, you two got it! Of course, making a fully usable gunblade (with rotating barrel and bullets) is a lot easier said than done. I made mine in 2 months because of all my procrasination.

Wood Burning kit? Really? Wow, I never even tried to use that. I just sat there near the end and etched it into the wood using a scapel that I stole from my Anatomy class.

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:09 pm

lol... i used a glass etcher for a wooden project i just done...
you can do wonders with stuff lying around in the back yard! :D

Sammei

Post by Sammei » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:35 pm

Wow, you guys are talented! I could never do that stuff... I think I'll end up going the paper mache route, but thanks for the ideas! Maybe someone I know knows how to do that stuff... :D

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:27 pm

can't wait to see the finished project on AC!

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:59 pm

Be careful with paper mache...I usually only work with it when I make large swords that will obviously kill the back or arms (Cloud's), but for the time that I have worked with it, I've hated it. The chickenwire that I used to bend into place was a bastard and really wouldn't go anywhere I wanted and then the masking tape was just stupid...

Then the actual paper mache part didn't make the prop look like any weapon I had ever seen. Unless you go at it painstakingly to make sure nothing moves and everything is perfect, you won't get the smooth and shiny finish that most wooden gunblades and swords have since paper mache is just that, paper. You also have to consider the smaller details of the sword like the engraved Greiver on the sides of the blade and the chain that falls from the hilt. I sometimes will make large swords out of paper mache because it can also achieve a perfect "rocky" look, as if the weapon was carved rather sloppily out of rock. *Breathes in* Ah, fresh from the rock!

What con do you need this for anyway? I can make this for you rather easily as I've made four Gunblades before, three of which had the revolving barrel and bullets (I never made the barrel for my prototype and the bullets usually cost extra because of how annoying they tend to be to shape). Just email if you're interested and I can assure you right now that I'm skilled in props and currently working on an Inuyasha package of accessories and weapons, Miroku's staff, Kikyou's bow and arrow, and Sesshoumaru's Tenseiga, which needs a custom made sheath and Toukijin. I'll post the pictures up when I have finished them.

You CAN also do the humiliating way out. For my first ever wooden prop, I asked my WoodShop teacher to help me out and that was just plain embrassing because I had to explain to him as he worked that it was for a cosplay and that cosplay was dressing up at a con somewhere in another state where other people dress up. @.@

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:03 am

whatever you choose be sure to be safe with the material...

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:38 pm

Yea, being safe is best so don't try fiberglass or anything like that. @.@ I did that once and forgot that it gave off fumes.

+Kohyoh+

Post by +Kohyoh+ » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:00 am

... wear gas mask!
i'ld go with paper mache and pvc pipe... it's teh cheapest way money wise to make it

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:25 pm

muh, I've been behind on all the forums lately that I'm signed up for. I just today finished looking at all the updated posts....well, making it from pine wood isn't expensive at all....I remember when I first asked my step dad how much is was and his reply...

"Damn cheap."

My reply..."Sweet"

"Why?"

"No reason..." And thus began my life as a prop maker

Sammei

Thanks again!

Post by Sammei » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:43 pm

I swear I didn't fall off the face of the planet. Thanks a lot again guys! ^.^ If it's just me, I'll end up doing the paper mache route, even if it can't be shiny or what not (I'm not in woodshop, and apparentally people I know have no idea how to do that kind of stuff ~.~), and I don't even know WHERE to buy pvc pipe, let alone what to do with it. Ahh, my first leap into prop making... ~.~ And Hemuloki-sama, expect an email from me soon. ^.^; Happy New Years, guys.

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:49 pm

Alright, I'll be waiting, haha. You can also try the foam and fiberglass cloth method. It's more expensive but you could do it on your own. Now this is what I use for the bigger weapons (screw that paper mache crap!). My Tetsusaigas never looked so good!