Cutting/sewing leather gloves

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Makira

Cutting/sewing leather gloves

Post by Makira » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 pm

I recently bought a pair of leather gloves that I need to cut a hole in the top part of the hand, and one I need to cut completely down to my wrist. They are opera length gloves and are skin tight so the option of folding them other isn't really there.

I've also never really tailored anything like this before so I was wondering how to go about cutting them down to size. A reference picture to what I need is this...

Thank you ahead of time ^.^

EDIT: Also, if there's any way I could add on to the longer glove with the fabric from the glove I'll be cutting... I just kind of realized Yoko's glove go ABOVE her elbow, the gloves I have end at my elbow =/ If not, then it's just a minor detail I'll have to overlook, but if there's a way, I'd love to know!

BlackKnightress210

Re: Cutting/sewing leather gloves

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Hello!!

Sewing with leather isn't as difficult as I thought it would be! I just completed my first tailoring of a leather jacket and it wasn't horrible at all. (That is my disclaimer that it isn't hard.)

What you'll want is to make sure you are sewing on a machine with the appropriate needle. They sell leather needles, so you'll want to go out and purchase one if you don't have one already!

I, personally, wouldn't suggest stitching the longer glove to the extra from the short, as you will see bump on your arm where it is stitched together, no matter how close you trim the seam and I'd be worried it would be too tight on your arm since you did say it was skin tight. That, however, is a choice for you to make! I probably wouldn't be THAT terrible if it could fit on your arm. I'm more worried it would be too tight and uncomfortable.

As for the rest, leather doesn't fray or run typically, so you won't have that as a problem. If you don't want to do a finished seam, you wouldn't have to. I recommend it, however. For the finger-less gloves and the hem on the gloves, use a very small seam of maybe a quarter inch (or possibly less on the fingers.)

To make the fold crisp you'll want to "beat" the leather, which is a long and perhaps wrist-aching process of whacking the leather with a hard object. I have the necessary tools in my shop, but a hammer works just as well.

Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention HOW which was your first question. Ha.
The best way is to put the gloves on and mark on the outside with a pin where you want to CUT them. Keep in mind you will (probably) be folding them over with a small seam allowance to sew. Cut a straight line that is parallel to the line of the actual hem on the gloves as they are now.