Longbow Construction?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
azimedes

Longbow Construction?

Post by azimedes » Sun May 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey guys!

I've been having a horrid time trying to find anything on bow construction. I'm not really sure what else to do other than start a new thread on this one. I have a ref picture linked below, but I was wondering if any of you fine folk have had any success with bow construction? I'm really not even sure where to start. I've only built swords, so. XD;

Any help and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated! :) <3

Ref: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ongbow.jpg

Stabbityblkmage

Re: Longbow Construction?

Post by Stabbityblkmage » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:07 am

I've never built a bow either, but I would approach it similar to a staff (since they're both essentially very long structures) for this I would probably either go an all wood construction (mdf so as not have to worry about grains) which is pretty straightforward in that all one has to do is cut out the shape and sand/rout the edges.

The other way (which I would be a bit reluctant to do) would be to carve it out of foam then reinforce it with plasti-dip, fiberglass cloth+resin, and bondo (for a good finish).

Good luck to you!
Support Anime! Get a Crunchyroll Premium Membership!
Image Image

High res shots and complete work in progress found at these sites!
Image Image

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:29 am

Not quite, the American Longbow actually performs much better than the English longbow. American longbows introduced a slight recurve near the tip, but not quite enough to class it as a recurve.
As you can see the American longbow edges out the English one by a good 50 meters or so.
The American longbow also has a nicer feel to the shot than English longbows.
I'm not so sure about the yumis(Japanese longbow). I have a fellow at the range shooting a 60 lbs yumi, now granted the arrows they shoot are much much longer than arrows used on longbows. But the speed of those arrows coming out of the yumi seems quite low. I have chrono'd the yumi's speed before but can't seem to recall what result was.

Penetration power is the one thing that has not been tested with most of these bows. From the tests I've seen, the ELB shooting bodkin arrows were able to get 2 inch of penetration through plate armor from 30 yards away. Yumi's on the other hand have never been tested against plate armor. The Japanese never developed plate armor. If you look at the arrowheads that the Japanese used, they're all designed to bleed, with broad cutting edges. They're effective against unarmored targets, but won't work against plate armor.

James_Bond

Post by James_Bond » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:11 am

Yes you are right...!
I agree with you...!
You have awesome knowledge...!

zetasj55

Post by zetasj55 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 am

Penetration power is the one thing that has not been tested with most of these bows. From the tests I've seen, the ELB shooting bodkin arrows were able to get 2 inch of penetration through plate armor from 30 yards away. Yumi's on the other hand have never been tested against plate armor.

DunnElden

Post by DunnElden » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:30 am

As an elite boutique construction firm, we prefer quality over quantity, with an attention to detail rarely seen in todays competitive construction industry.

Denae84

Post by Denae84 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:09 am

I think that is just to confusing. I can't do this now seeing I have a web design project for school and I am designing v4 for my design site.
leep