is it cosplay if I design a new outfit for an existing char?

Looking for cosplay ideas? Have an idea but need better pictures? Try shouting here!
reality_chaser

is it cosplay if I design a new outfit for an existing char?

Post by reality_chaser » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:12 am

hey all! I'm not new to the cosplay/costume world, but I've got a question--

I'm making costumes for my husband and me as Horo and Lawrence from Spice and Wolf, but I have designed a different ensemble for Horo that is not from the manga or anime (or fan art or promotional art); however it is very reminiscent of many of her existing outfits, and does include signature elements like a belt sash, anklet, of course her hair, ears, tail, and some apple themed accessories that will make the character recognisable to people familiar with the show.

I realise that I can make the costume however I want because it doesn't really matter, but I'm wondering if this would still be classified/considered as cosplay?

thanks for your opinions! I can scan pictures of my sketches tonight if it would help.

~Chaser

Twinkly_Keepers

Re: is it cosplay if I design a new outfit for an existing c

Post by Twinkly_Keepers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 am

Personally, I think you can wear whatever you want to cosplay, as long as someone can look at you and guess who your character is. BUT it wouldn't be considered "kosher" and you might not get as much recognition for it, unless it's really cool-looking. (And you wouldn't be allowed to include the pictures in ACP as a cosplay.)

Just my 2 cents....

reality_chaser

Post by reality_chaser » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Twinkly_Keepers wrote:Personally, I think you can wear whatever you want to cosplay, as long as someone can look at you and guess who your character is. BUT it wouldn't be considered "kosher" and you might not get as much recognition for it, unless it's really cool-looking. (And you wouldn't be allowed to include the pictures in ACP as a cosplay.)

Just my 2 cents....
okay good to know. what would it be considered as, then? fanplay? lol XD I'm sad I wouldn't be able to post the cosplay here, though, and I guess that also means I couldn't really enter any contests either. I showed the drawings to a few people without saying anything and they were able to tell who it was right away, so I suppose that's all that matters!

reality_chaser

Post by reality_chaser » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:02 pm

oops! double post ^_^;;