Skin Color and Cosplay Makeup

Want to learn or teach how to make something? Feel free to contribute here!
alicehana

Re: Skin Color and Cosplay Makeup

Post by alicehana » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:00 pm

that was a good read...indeed those tips are true, skin colour does have a big factor..

Seeshelle

Post by Seeshelle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm

how can you make your skin tone look ''even''? My skin tone is darker on some areas look under the eyes for example. I tried to use baby powder, but that didn't really work.

I know nothing about make-up as you can prob tell..

aiko73

Post by aiko73 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:29 am

how oculd i avail of your services? please notify me and give me some details.. would really appreciate it.. thanks :mrgreen:

Fold39Crane

Post by Fold39Crane » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Very interesting! Thanks for the information ^^ I never know what color to use XD

Seeshelle wrote:how can you make your skin tone look ''even''? My skin tone is darker on some areas look under the eyes for example. I tried to use baby powder, but that didn't really work.

For this, try using concealers. You could probably find video tutorials on using it and which to buy for what you need.
But lightly applying some concealer will cover any blemishing and dark spots you want. And then applying foundation should even it out.

Seeshelle

Post by Seeshelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Fold39Crane wrote:Very interesting! Thanks for the information ^^ I never know what color to use XD

Seeshelle wrote:how can you make your skin tone look ''even''? My skin tone is darker on some areas look under the eyes for example. I tried to use baby powder, but that didn't really work.

For this, try using concealers. You could probably find video tutorials on using it and which to buy for what you need.
But lightly applying some concealer will cover any blemishing and dark spots you want. And then applying foundation should even it out.
Thanks for the reply! erpp.. I forgot to mention that I have watery eyes a lot aka everyday, so I brush my tears away via hands or sleeves. I'm worried that the makeup stuff will get ruined & I have such uneven skin tone.. x3

bailey
Celestial Cosplayer

Post by bailey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Seeshelle wrote: Thanks for the reply! erpp.. I forgot to mention that I have watery eyes a lot aka everyday, so I brush my tears away via hands or sleeves. I'm worried that the makeup stuff will get ruined & I have such uneven skin tone.. x3
I'm not the OP obviously, but I also have problems with watery eyes sometimes and some eye makeups can actually aggravate it!

First of all, I'd look into why your eyes are watering. Mine stems from allergies, so maybe look into an OTC allergy medication or talk with your doctor. Watery eyes can also, believe it or not, come from dry eyes! So maybe try some moisturizing drops, too. They also make allergy relief eye drops which are amazing.

Try using makeup that is for sensitive skin and be careful not to get it into your eyes, especially with mascaras and eye shadows.

Instead of wiping your eyes with your hands or sleeves, get a cute handkerchief that matches your costume! Make sure it's in a soft, non-irritating fabric. Dabbing your eyes gently instead of wiping can also help not only to avoid ruining your makeup, but it's also less irritating to your eyes.

Seeshelle

Post by Seeshelle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 am

bailey wrote:
Seeshelle wrote: Thanks for the reply! erpp.. I forgot to mention that I have watery eyes a lot aka everyday, so I brush my tears away via hands or sleeves. I'm worried that the makeup stuff will get ruined & I have such uneven skin tone.. x3
I'm not the OP obviously, but I also have problems with watery eyes sometimes and some eye makeups can actually aggravate it!

First of all, I'd look into why your eyes are watering. Mine stems from allergies, so maybe look into an OTC allergy medication or talk with your doctor. Watery eyes can also, believe it or not, come from dry eyes! So maybe try some moisturizing drops, too. They also make allergy relief eye drops which are amazing.

Try using makeup that is for sensitive skin and be careful not to get it into your eyes, especially with mascaras and eye shadows.

Instead of wiping your eyes with your hands or sleeves, get a cute handkerchief that matches your costume! Make sure it's in a soft, non-irritating fabric. Dabbing your eyes gently instead of wiping can also help not only to avoid ruining your makeup, but it's also less irritating to your eyes.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm not sure if it's allergies. I mean I don't think you can have allergies everyday all/most your life. I have asthma, so I think it may be linked to that which may/may not be allergies. I'll try those drops, thanks!
lol, thing is, I forget easily which is why I can never take care of myself. x3 I'm iffy about handkerchiefs/gloves/scarfs/accessory/etc 'cause I always forget to bring those kind of stuff. Even I forget to make to-do lists, so I rely on memory. x3 I'll try to remember to bring handkerchiefs everywhere with me from now, though! I have a napkin, but the texture are like those you find in restaurants (depending on the restaurant you go to, the napkins can be wrapped around utensils, found on plates, in cups, or just next to plates). Do you think it can be used if I just dab?

bailey
Celestial Cosplayer

Post by bailey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am

Seeshelle wrote: Thanks for the reply!
I'm not sure if it's allergies. I mean I don't think you can have allergies everyday all/most your life. I have asthma, so I think it may be linked to that which may/may not be allergies. I'll try those drops, thanks!
lol, thing is, I forget easily which is why I can never take care of myself. x3 I'm iffy about handkerchiefs/gloves/scarfs/accessory/etc 'cause I always forget to bring those kind of stuff. Even I forget to make to-do lists, so I rely on memory. x3 I'll try to remember to bring handkerchiefs everywhere with me from now, though! I have a napkin, but the texture are like those you find in restaurants (depending on the restaurant you go to, the napkins can be wrapped around utensils, found on plates, in cups, or just next to plates). Do you think it can be used if I just dab?
Sorry! Meant to reply to this sooner! I read it and then forgot I hadn't replied. Go me! :oops:

I know how it is with the asthma too. I've had it all my life. Since you do have asthma, certain things may bother you more that others, but I am not sure if it would contribute to your eye problems.

I hope you can get some relief! I know that there are things you can do that will help with your allergies. With all the medicines, drops, salves and what have you available now there is no reason to suffer through allergies!

A napkin would help too, so long as you dab instead of rubbing. Rubbing will further irritate your eyes as well as smear all your hard work on your makeup! If you're able, go to the bathroom when you have problems and try to work around your makeup.

I did want to mention that some eyeshadows might irritate while others won't. I have some nice eyeshadows which cost me $15-$20 a pop that irritate my eyes more than a $5-$10 shadow! It just depends on the ingredients and pigments.

It will take a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. If you have a Sephora near you I'd suggest them. They have all kinds of things you can try and they also sometimes have small travel items which are great for testers.

If you don't have one, I'd definitely try to build up your makeup inventory slowly. There are so many choices and you won't know which one is right for you until you try it. Some people really like mineral makeups, whereas I prefer a more traditional liquid foundation, etc, especially for cosplay.

For sensitive skin and eyes I'd tryPhysician's Formula, which is a nicer brand that you can buy at any drug store. I've used it with great success. They also have some great products for color correction, which was being discussed earlier.

Seeshelle

Post by Seeshelle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 am

bailey wrote: Sorry! Meant to reply to this sooner! I read it and then forgot I hadn't replied. Go me! :oops:

I know how it is with the asthma too. I've had it all my life. Since you do have asthma, certain things may bother you more that others, but I am not sure if it would contribute to your eye problems.

I hope you can get some relief! I know that there are things you can do that will help with your allergies. With all the medicines, drops, salves and what have you available now there is no reason to suffer through allergies!

A napkin would help too, so long as you dab instead of rubbing. Rubbing will further irritate your eyes as well as smear all your hard work on your makeup! If you're able, go to the bathroom when you have problems and try to work around your makeup.

I did want to mention that some eyeshadows might irritate while others won't. I have some nice eyeshadows which cost me $15-$20 a pop that irritate my eyes more than a $5-$10 shadow! It just depends on the ingredients and pigments.

It will take a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. If you have a Sephora near you I'd suggest them. They have all kinds of things you can try and they also sometimes have small travel items which are great for testers.

If you don't have one, I'd definitely try to build up your makeup inventory slowly. There are so many choices and you won't know which one is right for you until you try it. Some people really like mineral makeups, whereas I prefer a more traditional liquid foundation, etc, especially for cosplay.

For sensitive skin and eyes I'd tryPhysician's Formula, which is a nicer brand that you can buy at any drug store. I've used it with great success. They also have some great products for color correction, which was being discussed earlier.
It's cool; I replied pretty late too x3
It's good to know this stuff from someone who you can kinda relate to. I dab now, thanks to you :lol:
If it’s just an allergic reaction to dust or pollens, I think I saw an eyedrop container with the word allergy relief on it. I could be wrong, though x3
Thanks for the heads up on ingredients and pigments. I'll have to go to Sephora one day and find those small travel items you're talking about.
I didn't know there's a liquid foundation. :shock: I don't think I;ve seen one before. There really are so many choices..
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out! :)

bailey
Celestial Cosplayer

Post by bailey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Seeshelle wrote: It's cool; I replied pretty late too x3
It's good to know this stuff from someone who you can kinda relate to. I dab now, thanks to you :lol:
If it’s just an allergic reaction to dust or pollens, I think I saw an eyedrop container with the word allergy relief on it. I could be wrong, though x3
Thanks for the heads up on ingredients and pigments. I'll have to go to Sephora one day and find those small travel items you're talking about.
I didn't know there's a liquid foundation. :shock: I don't think I;ve seen one before. There really are so many choices..
I'm glad to know I could make a difference! How is dabbing working for you? Ideally it would help your eyes be less irritated.

I would definitely say give the allergy drops a shot and if they don't work go to your doctor. You might want to anyway since having constantly watery eyes can't be comfortable!

Liquid foundation is actually what I would call "classic" foundation. It's what you see in all those little bottles. You can also buy foundation in creams, powder formulas, and anything in between. They all have their uses and some people like one better than others.

Seeshelle

Post by Seeshelle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 am

bailey wrote:
Seeshelle wrote: It's cool; I replied pretty late too x3
I'm glad to know I could make a difference! How is dabbing working for you? Ideally it would help your eyes be less irritated.

I would definitely say give the allergy drops a shot and if they don't work go to your doctor. You might want to anyway since having constantly watery eyes can't be comfortable!

Liquid foundation is actually what I would call "classic" foundation. It's what you see in all those little bottles. You can also buy foundation in creams, powder formulas, and anything in between. They all have their uses and some people like one better than others.
I haven't seen much difference actually.
I gotta go clean my room and find it; my room's messy x3
Ohh.. thanks for letting me know! I think I know what you're talking about now.