Pregnancy and Cosplay

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...

If pregnant would you still cosplay?

yeah
87%
no
11%
can't/na
2%

Total votes: 47

purpleladybug

Pregnancy and Cosplay

Post by purpleladybug » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 am

I know it's a weird topic, but my sister was prengant last year durring our con and was like "I dunno what to be, I still want to cosplay, but nothing will look right". I told her shippuden Temari cause the kimono should hide the baby bump.

People were so insensitive!!!! Most people just called her was fat, I was so angry about it!

Shouldn't pregnant women still be able to cosplay (in good taste), or am I totally wrong here?

Opinions please! If you have stories, please share them!!!!
My tie dye website is http://www.facebook.com/LadybugOriginals

Con schedule for 2012
MTAC
Wonder Girl

AWA
Sakura "GO" Kimono
Psychic Paine fan art from ffx-2
Paine yukata from ffx-2

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:34 am

I would say stick to things like kimonos or flowy stuff to make it look a little more natural, but that is so rude to make comments like that! and so what even if she was fat! I hate how people get so mean about a hobby like this that is supposed to be for FUN. People pick on others who are overweight, pregnant, whatever, well you know what? I've seen plenty of girls who aren't cute cosplay someone who is supposed to be cute and nobody says anything. Or to take it a step further, how about when guys dress as a girl character? Nobody has a problem with that!

...geez I just hate rude people, sorry for the rant.

Choji Warrior

Post by Choji Warrior » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:03 pm

For Me personally it depends on what month their pregnancy is on right now... If the stomach is big and they are unable to walk for a few hours i suggest to not go. But its usually up to the girl and the parents...

I would say yes though...

Kimonos and clothing that would look more natural and comfortable for the lady.
Teen and Young Rydia(s) Caramel Dansen, credit goes to Namedown!

pinkcatmints

Post by pinkcatmints » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:25 am

I agree with you guys. Though I personally think pregnant women should try and take advantage of it and be a pregnant character. There aren't too many that are always pregnant, but there are a few and for those that aren't through the entire anime/manga pregnant, there's always the pictures(in the anime/manga) that the we see because the character has one of their mother when she was pregnant or characters (for example Ed and Al from FMA) where we know what the mother looks like and a pregnant woman could dress as her and claim to be Ed's mom while pregnant with Ed or Al. Just an example, but I think people could use some creativity with characters and pull off awesome pregnant-anime-characters cosplays.
...wow, run-on sentences, sorry if that made no sense x.x
"Lesson Lesson... If you see a stranger, follow him" - Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivursky the 4th
"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!" - Asuka Langley Soryu

Legolas02

Post by Legolas02 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:50 pm

i see np at all with pregnant women who love anime and still dedicate themselfs to dress up as there fav charater :D !!

Tagaseguchi

Post by Tagaseguchi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:57 am

I was due the month of PCM and still cosplayed (I went as Belldandy) Cosplay and pregnancy is fine if people give you a hassle tell them that you can get away with murder at this time.

Legolas02

Post by Legolas02 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:57 pm

there you go ^^ , now more pregnant women will cosplay !! Keep up the good work :)

hiei/is/2/hot

Post by hiei/is/2/hot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 pm

I think a pregnant women should be able to cosplay who ever she wants (With-in reason).

When I get Pregnant I know I'll jump at it.
A Preg Aerith would be cute, right?
ImageA Hero, is not afraid to give his life for what is right...

Livvylove

Post by Livvylove » Sun May 11, 2008 8:26 pm

I remember seeing a pregnant Sailor Moon cosplayer and I loved it. She said she was having a boy though but still it was so cute.

bluepaws25

Post by bluepaws25 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 am

but i would cosplay still if i was pregnant i'd just wear something baggy like Yuna's white mage outfit from ff 10-2.

there are 10 Commandments to Cosplay!
http://scmb.sakuracon.org/viewtopic.php?t=16857
Last edited by bluepaws25 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trying to find help, trying to give help, trying to be sane while dealing with cosplay

moriwencartel

Post by moriwencartel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:54 am

bluepaws25 wrote: ...
and i have to say this one year at con, many years ago, there where a lot of overweight chi's and i just have to say it was not pleasent to look at and girls like that should dress with more clothing!
Before I begin, so as to avoid possible internet miscommunications, this is said from a purely even and non-snotty tone. I'm not trying to start a forum war here.... [ /disclaimer ] That being said:

Don't you think that's a little harsh? I'm not going to lie, I'm a teeny bit offended by the whole 'girls like that' and 'overweight... not pleasant to look at' comments. I'm not twiggy thin, but not overweight and yet I must say I find this kind of attitude strikes a painful chord with myself. Let alone anyone else who considers themselves full-figured. I wonder, if you would have the same Gall to look me in the eyes in person and tell me I shouldn't cosplay as certain characters. But the internet's anonymity has it's perks. Perhaps I shall rethink going to my local convention for the fear that my mere presence in the costume I worked my tush off for months might offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

While I agree completely that when choosing a costume one must keep the original idea and shape of the character in mind it's comments like these that can roll downhill and turn into the 'fat chicks shouldn't be allowed to dress like that, it's fricking gross' or 'ugly girls shouldn't wear shirts that say Cutie' comments. (Yes I just quoted Carlos Mencia.. it fits, dang it)

Women should be there for other women helping to build them up and support each other, not say some partially passively aggressive, damaging, subtly masked in 'Just my two cents' kind of cattiness that most of us left behind in High School. And if, perchance, you happen to be a man instead of my initial guess of a female... Whooo Goddess, I think that may end up as the rant I pray I will not need to go on but probably will... I believe the word chauvinist will come to mind. And possibly mention of a certain barnyard tenant with a curly-Q tail.

Real women come in all sizes and it's extremely disrespectful to say something akin to 'you shouldn't dress like that, it's disgusting'... I just... ugh... I promised myself I would stay as neutral as possible during this post and find myself having to take a break and breath.

I'd hate to sound like some self-righteous Wanna-Mama, but you should really learn to keep such negative thoughts to yourself. I'd say you shouldn't think such things, but I don't think it's possible.

I know you may have had good intentions in saying what you said, but it came off hurtful, ignorant, catty, and well for a lack of a better word... rather 'Bee-eye-tee-cee-Atch'-y if you follow me here....

And I have the feeling that this post will be mentioned only as 'Some fat chick with an attitude blasting some poor, amazing, brilliant person' but I think I'll survive.

bluepaws25

Post by bluepaws25 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:24 am

moriwencartel wrote:
bluepaws25 wrote: ...
and i have to say this one year at con, many years ago, there where a lot of overweight chi's and i just have to say it was not pleasent to look at and girls like that should dress with more clothing!
Before I begin, so as to avoid possible internet miscommunications, this is said from a purely even and non-snotty tone. I'm not trying to start a forum war here.... [ /disclaimer ] That being said:

Don't you think that's a little harsh? I'm not going to lie, I'm a teeny bit offended by the whole 'girls like that' and 'overweight... not pleasant to look at' comments. I'm not twiggy thin, but not overweight and yet I must say I find this kind of attitude strikes a painful chord with myself. Let alone anyone else who considers themselves full-figured. I wonder, if you would have the same Gall to look me in the eyes in person and tell me I shouldn't cosplay as certain characters. But the internet's anonymity has it's perks. Perhaps I shall rethink going to my local convention for the fear that my mere presence in the costume I worked my tush off for months might offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

While I agree completely that when choosing a costume one must keep the original idea and shape of the character in mind it's comments like these that can roll downhill and turn into the 'fat chicks shouldn't be allowed to dress like that, it's fricking gross' or 'ugly girls shouldn't wear shirts that say Cutie' comments. (Yes I just quoted Carlos Mencia.. it fits, dang it)

Women should be there for other women helping to build them up and support each other, not say some partially passively aggressive, damaging, subtly masked in 'Just my two cents' kind of cattiness that most of us left behind in High School. And if, perchance, you happen to be a man instead of my initial guess of a female... Whooo Goddess, I think that may end up as the rant I pray I will not need to go on but probably will... I believe the word chauvinist will come to mind. And possibly mention of a certain barnyard tenant with a curly-Q tail.

Real women come in all sizes and it's extremely disrespectful to say something akin to 'you shouldn't dress like that, it's disgusting'... I just... ugh... I promised myself I would stay as neutral as possible during this post and find myself having to take a break and breath.

I'd hate to sound like some self-righteous Wanna-Mama, but you should really learn to keep such negative thoughts to yourself. I'd say you shouldn't think such things, but I don't think it's possible.

I know you may have had good intentions in saying what you said, but it came off hurtful, ignorant, catty, and well for a lack of a better word... rather 'Bee-eye-tee-cee-Atch'-y if you follow me here....

And I have the feeling that this post will be mentioned only as 'Some fat chick with an attitude blasting some poor, amazing, brilliant person' but I think I'll survive.
i didn't mean to offend you or anyone...i have no problem with full figure girls and cruves are ok, they just gotta be the right kind....i love that Whitney from America's Next Top Model won (the only seventeen mag i bought in the last 10yrs has her on it and she is a great role model), i love her and think she is so beautiful, i have no problem with that. it's just when your tummy sticks out twice the length of your breast and you have a hard time walking, that is overweight to me.
i'm a big health nut and i'm very active and i just wish i could help people be healthy.
trying to find help, trying to give help, trying to be sane while dealing with cosplay

moriwencartel

Post by moriwencartel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:08 pm

I understand that it didn't come from a nasty place, it's just... a dodgey issue.

Take myself for example, I wish I was healthier, but not because I sit on my tush and snack down on BonBons.

I have two medical conditions called Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. In laymen's; every second of every day I'm in excruciating pain and there is no cure. I'm on disability and while I'd love to be like normal engaged girls, flitting about with wedding planning I'm stuck getting needles in my spine so's that the pain is tolerable.

I used to be exactly 115 (muscled) pounds in a dancer's body at roughly Five Foot Three. And now, I'm not because if I don't take 20 separate pills a day that have weight gain as a side effect, I'd be a writhing ball on the ground. I don't look like me anymore. While I'm lucky due to the fact I carry the extra weight well and I have a great deal of muscle underneath it, I can't run around in a belly shirt without feeling really uncomfortable. Do I hate not wearing the cute little clothes, you bet your sweet butt I do. Do I wish that I could parade around in a teeny little bikini and not have people give me odd looks because of it... yeah.

I guess All I have to say, is that if you look at an overweight girl and shudder, don't instantly assume it's due to unhealthy habits, okay?

:hug:

I'm not mad, I just... If I didn't have the amazing man I do, I don't know what I'd do with myself. Now... off to try and find a good Furisode Pattern. ^.^

Choji Warrior

Post by Choji Warrior » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:25 pm

hiei/is/2/hot wrote:I think a pregnant women should be able to cosplay who ever she wants (With-in reason).

I have seen someone draw an Pregnant Aerith. That was really cute.

I am sorry to hear about that Moriwencartel. I can agree with what you are saying about when you see an overweight person and cringed or shudder. Dont assume things so quickly, it makes things even much much worse.

bluepaws25

Post by bluepaws25 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:52 pm

I will never ever ask a female how far she is with her pregnancy cuz back when I was 21 and worked at macys and drank 2-3nights a week and ate at McD’s I have been asked that, cuz I’m short thin and had a tummy. It got to the point that I would reply two cheeseburgers a fry and a shake. Since that time 4 years later, I don’t drink as often, once every couple of weeks, I do not eat any fast food and have cut back on eating out period. I have changed to healthier food and learned how to hide the fat that is still stuck on my belly button. Cuz no matter what I do I have fat on my belly button, my whole family is like that, and I can cut calories, take diet pills, and work out through out the day and all evening and be active and yet it’s still there.
Being thin is not easy, I’ve tried, but no matter what I’ve accepted that fat, and even though guys have too (it’s a nice pillow for their head), and that I have cottage cheese. I have just learned to eat healthy cuz no matter what I eat I always bloat up after meals and I have learned to dress to hid it, or take shots that are straight on so you don’t see how side muffin top I am. I do wear a tummy thin that holds it in too and love it. I’m not perfect and I never claimed that I am and I’ve accepted that. I don’t expect anyone to be. I know there are medical conditions out there that can make you overweight no matter what you do, and that is fine. A overweight person that works out is much more healthy then a thin person who doesn’t. Even people that are too thin make me shudder, cuz they look like they do not eat and I don’t understand that. I do not have a perfect tummy and I know guys don’t like my cottage cheese but not everyone is perfect, and I’ve learned to steer the attention else where, like I have a great smile, I love my knees, and I cover what I do not like or what other people may not want to see, I do that out of respect for other people.
I don’t mean to offend anyone. I’m sorry for those who took what I said to mean something else. It’s hard to explain.
I just think people need to dress for there size. Like take a girl who is a size 2 and a girl who is a size 12, there are outfits that can complement both sizes and there are outfits that can make them look bad. I love fashion and there’s so many styles. What works for the size 12 girl doesn’t work on the size 2 girl(and sizes do not matter, it can be the exact same style but be totally different on a different body.)
Everyone thinks differently. There are many many forms of beauty.

pixerella1982

Pregnancy and Cosplay

Post by pixerella1982 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 pm

I would cosplay if I was pregnant too. If some one said I looked fat I would ignore it. But then again I am heavy and don't care what anybody thinks. I'd wear something that wasn't too tight like a corset but not be afraid to be Sailor Moon. She did have a baby of her own after all.

SephysManda

Post by SephysManda » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:04 pm

I would so cosplay when pregnant. I would probably cosplay as someone in Final Fantasy. It would be really fun/nny.
~Manda da Panda~

cosplaygirly

hell yeah

Post by cosplaygirly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:38 am

i would totally cosplay pregnant. i dont see what's wrong with it. i wouldnt wear somethin with my big stretch marked belly hangin out of it though :-) and for the sake of accuracy i think i would cosplay someone who was actually pregnant or has a kid in the series. sometimes there are some big fat bad guys that you can cosplay too LOL. I think if anyone said somethin i would puke on them LOL. people just domnt understand what its like to be prego and if you are able to go out and walk around a convention all, i give you props. cuz when i was pregnant, i could barely get outta bed-unless i had to puke :-)

hiei/is/2/hot

Post by hiei/is/2/hot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Choji Warrior wrote:
hiei/is/2/hot wrote:I think a pregnant women should be able to cosplay who ever she wants (With-in reason).

I have seen someone draw an Pregnant Aerith. That was really cute.

I am sorry to hear about that Moriwencartel. I can agree with what you are saying about when you see an overweight person and cringed or shudder. Dont assume things so quickly, it makes things even much much worse.
Yea yea.
I've seen a few too. (DA whore)

I also know someone that cosplays Zack. xD <3
Guess who I'll be dragging with me.
ImageA Hero, is not afraid to give his life for what is right...

purpleladybug

Re: Pregnancy and Cosplay

Post by purpleladybug » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 am

Yeah, I figured cosplay would bring people with similarities together, but I find the same stereotypes as everywhere else, if your not a size 2, you shouldn't cosplay at all and it should be about fandom and showing love to the character, not whether your fat and the character isn't or pregnant for that matter.
My tie dye website is http://www.facebook.com/LadybugOriginals

Con schedule for 2012
MTAC
Wonder Girl

AWA
Sakura "GO" Kimono
Psychic Paine fan art from ffx-2
Paine yukata from ffx-2

Choji Warrior

Post by Choji Warrior » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:17 pm

Well, everyone has proved a valid point here. I agree, it wouldnt matter for me, I'ave seen it a lot of times before. Let us make a change!

Patches

Post by Patches » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Meh, people have called me fat when I cosplay anyway.

Heck yeah, I'd cosplay while preggers (not that I ever intend to have children so I don't see this happening lol) But I'd want to cos a character that's baby-laden in canon.

a38463846Q

Post by a38463846Q » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:47 am

even though i really cant stand little kids with a passion and dont ever intend to be pregnant, i think that anyone who is still should cosplay as any character they want, thats the rule of cosplay anyone can be anything they want as long as they have the proper materials, makeup, time whatever. but if your not so bold as for doing cosplay that will indeed show your bump i would suggest wearing gothic lolita, kimonos, or any other type of robe that will give your bump modesty, also i personaly feel that anyone at least 4-6 months pregnant should have no trouble cosplaying as a lady in a kimono ^_^, and about cosplayers being rude, wow thats rare, yeah there are alot of people who will do and say whatever comes to mind , however many cosplayers that i have met are kinda stand offish , and somewhat antisocial (the ones in high school) but than again it seems they have some type of vigor when they go to an anime con that they think they can diss people for not looking like a certain character. i would just ignore what they say. besides i bet if you were to go in their face and be like wat now im pregnant you got a issue , than they would most likely back off in their little corner.

neoangelwink

Post by neoangelwink » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 am

more to them ^_^. i don't see why not. i think it cute to see pregnancy cosplayers

dressdragn

Post by dressdragn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:35 am

I think pregnancy could offer a lot of unique opportunities to a cosplayer. While there aren’t many Anime/Mangas who’s central charters are mothers there are certainly plenty of animes in which mothers, or flash backs about the main charters where their mothers appear. Even if the Mother isn’t pregnant in the flash back I think it would be easy to derive a recognizable pregnancy friendly costume based on the source material.

Depending on your temperament, there are also lots of charters who are not depicted as pregnant, but it would be humorous to see them so. For example you could cosplay Sailor Moon while she was pregnant with chibi moon. There are also some very interesting and disturbing possibilities for Kotori Monou from X.

I think the most important thing to remember is that you are cosplaying for you. If it makes her happy I see no reason your sister can’t cosplay during this special time in her life.

~Anna

brendya

Post by brendya » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 pm

What does your early pregnancy cramps feel like? Just a poll I am trying to compare the early pregnancy cramps
so what does your early pregnancy cramps feel like? my cramps dont feel like normal period cramps- my reg period cramps are unbareable - these are more like a mild pain but once and a while i get a sharp pain near my pelvic bone.- is that normal?

Gale

Post by Gale » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 pm

The idea of cosplaying while pregnant has always fascinated me. I don't even plan to get married for some time yet (heck, first I gotta find a guy to settle down with, and then we'll see if where I am in my career makes sense to have a kid yet) but if I'm still cosplaying then (and gods I hope I am) I really want to find a character who is or makes sense to be preggers. Like maybe Gracia from FMA. I actually have met somebody who's done pregnant Trisha Elric (with baby Ed in a stroller at that, I think...or maybe it was pregnant Trisha and two years later she came with baby Ed?). Isn't there another character in that series who gets pregnant too?

If it wasn't a strictly anime convention I might consider going as Bonnie Swanson from Family Guy.

gillasey

Post by gillasey » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:19 pm

How early in your pregnancy can you start to get morning sickness? About a week ago, I took a positive pregnancy test. I figure that I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks along, but I haven't made it to the doctor yet, so I don't know for sure. For the past three days I've felt extremely nauseous. I thought it was too early to be getting morning sickness, but my friend says it can start pretty early. Have I come down with something or is it really morning sickness?
Last edited by gillasey on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gale

Post by Gale » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:44 pm

gillasey wrote:How early in your pregnancy can you start to get morning sickness? About a week ago, I took a positive pregnancy test. I figure that I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks along, but I haven't made it to the doctor yet, so I don't know for sure. For the past three days I've felt extremely nauseous. I thought it was too early to be getting morning sickness, but my friend says it can start pretty early. Have I come down with something or is it really morning sickness?
I've never been pregnant, but when I was younger I had a hormone imbalance such that whenever I got my period I essentially got morning sickness the first day I bled each month. I'd say it depends on you personally and your hormones. If you're pregnant, your hormones are working differently, and that could be enough. I know some women don't get morning sickness at all. It could also be totally psychological. I'd say don't worry too much. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go to your doctor sooner than later, though.

akaneirie

Post by akaneirie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:46 pm

I don't think so, pregnant woman should not stand for a long time. If she's cosplaying, long time standing is basiclly required for posting. It's not a very good idea for the baby~
Check out www.Sword Art Online.com
Incredible Group Discount is offering:
Buy 3 get $50 off in total.
Buy 5 get $100 off in total.
This offer expires on 7/15/2009, Cosplay Costume Store only.

Grellzy_bear_5

Post by Grellzy_bear_5 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 pm

heh u can cosplay as most fruitful yuki from juno XD or u can as othedrs a jimono or crossplay as gluttony from fma
Image GRELLZY BEAR WANTZ HUGZ PLZ

brnn17

Post by brnn17 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I think there's a lot of misconception about pregnancy and pregnant women on this board. I think it's a wonderful idea for a pregnant woman to cosplay no matter how far along she is. Standing for long periods of time is not going to harm the child, it's only going to be uncomfortable for the mother, first of all. Secondly, why only limit costume choices to baggy clothing? No one wants to see anyone's ass, pregnant or not. However pregnancy is the one time in a woman's life when they can have a belly and not look overweight. I'd definitely flaunt it. Besides, baggy clothing is more likely to make someone look larger than what they are. This definitely doesn't mean it's alright to wear skin tight clothing if it'll look obscene, just wear clothing that fits.
gillasey wrote:How early in your pregnancy can you start to get morning sickness? About a week ago, I took a positive pregnancy test. I figure that I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks along, but I haven't made it to the doctor yet, so I don't know for sure. For the past three days I've felt extremely nauseous. I thought it was too early to be getting morning sickness, but my friend says it can start pretty early. Have I come down with something or is it really morning sickness?

ladyxzeus

Post by ladyxzeus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 am

As long as you feel well doing it, why not? Being pregnant does not unable you from living your life. :P

I personally never saw a pregnant cosplayer, but there are so many fun options to do (and some rather cute ones, like a Chansey xD)

Some say the con environment is not fit for a prenant woman, especially on a later stage. Indeed it can be dangerous if some mad glomper decides to jump on you because you're CUTE or something, but we also got to trust that there are not crazy people everywhere.
My Anime | My Stuff

Besides that... Waratte Oemashou Sore Ha Chiisana Inori =)

berjnsan21

Post by berjnsan21 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Actually, pregnant women sometimes are sensitive. However, they must relax to avoid stress, on the other hand. During pregnancy, we must be careful in what are doing for the sake of the baby.

aurianne

Post by aurianne » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 am

Hi there!

I am currently pregnant with my first child, i will be 25 weeks and plan on Cosplaying as Nia Teppelin timeskip verison From Gurren. I think all pregnant women should cosplay whoever they want! If people are going to be that judgemental, then .... that's their problem. I'm going to have fun at Nan Desu Kan no matter what anyone says! I love to cosplay and wouldn't stop just becuase I am pregnant!