Material Suggestion. Help please ^w^

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
wingedinfinity

Material Suggestion. Help please ^w^

Post by wingedinfinity » Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 am

Hello.I'm going to be cosplaying Simca's "EGL" dress
but i'm having a hard time choosing a material for it.

It has a pleather look/feel to it but i don't want it to look tooooooo weird.
but i also want it to be form fitting but some of the ones that i've seen of this dress who have stretchy material, the bottom pulls the top so it's stretched downwards and not form fitting at all.
any suggestions?

please help. ^^

Jasdero

Post by Jasdero » Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Well by the look of it,, it should be PVC...you could always get 4 way stretch PVC but PVC in general can b e pretty pricey.
BUT by the look of it....it should be wet look PVC...if you don't want to do that....maybe....a spandex of sorts? 0-o.....maybe.
If not you could always try satin
Check out my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/comcos
Gaijin USA FEED THE ADDICTION!
For your anime needs!
http://www.gaijinusa.com

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm

Jas is right that's pvc you can look in JoAnns or other fabric stores for light wieght versions of that but test the strength of a small piece first. You can also try a Crepe Backed Satin, never go cheap or unlined you will want to kill yourself after working with it.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

wingedinfinity

Post by wingedinfinity » Thu May 29, 2008 4:24 pm

thank you ^^
lol i was thinking pvc
the only thing is
i don't want to completely die in it XD

and i don't want to mess up the egl look with all the pvc
because this one girl was telling me that
pvc doesn't = egl XD

i was thinking of regular cotton or something
but do you guys think it'll still have the same effect?
the dress isn't supposed to be as shiny as the figure though XD
cause i'd blind people if i was ever stupid enough to walk in the sun with it on XD

EDIT>> and about the spandex. i've seen a few cosplays of this dress in i'm guessing spandex
and the skirt part pulled the top down so it wasn't fitting and i really don't want that. lol

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Thu May 29, 2008 4:30 pm

for the leggins you can go with tights but for that dress I really say crepe backed satin. And remember this is your dress and there is a difference between EGL and what the creators had in mind. Don't worry you will be lovely.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.