Cosplay Idea [Still Need Help!]

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Shad Croly

Cosplay Idea [Still Need Help!]

Post by Shad Croly » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 am

I had this idea in my head for a while and I'm going to try and run with it for Sakuracon 2008.

Anyway, I want to cosplay as an Intern for Organization XIII. I already have the coat, pants, gloves, and boots, but my problem, is that I want to use some kind of press-on/iron-on white letters to spell out Intern on the back of my Org. XIII coat. (A reference to the shirts the Interns wear on X-Play.)

Is there any specific kind of press-on/iron-on white letters I should use or will just any iron on letters do? And is it possible to take the letters off without damaging the material?

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Shad Croly on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kawaiipunkd

Post by kawaiipunkd » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:20 pm

I know this is going to sound strange, but Staples has iron on t-shirt transfers, I know because I used to work there, I believe they also have iron on letters, if they don't I know I saw some at Michaels, and Joann fabrics.

If you want to go the cheap way, cut out white letters from old t-shirts for that "punk" look I did that for a concert T-shirt this last Fall. It was fun 8)

kawaiipunkd

Post by kawaiipunkd » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm

consequentially I'll be trying to make it to SC this year as well with my (hopefully) boyfriend in tow :D as Ren Ren Ren from DearS

Shad Croly

Post by Shad Croly » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm trying to go for a punk look. Trying to make it look as professional as having "Intern" on the back of an Org. XIII coat can look. But Staples, you say? I'll have to take a look and see if there is one near where I live.

Still looking for word on if they can be removed without ruining the fabric, if anyone knows anything about that.

[EDIT] I have yet to find a set of white iron-on letters about 4" in height. I've checked Staples, Joann, and a few other fabric places online. If anyone has a link to a place that sells them, please let me know!

pinkcatmints

Post by pinkcatmints » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:16 am

I don't have any recommendations for where to get iron-on letters, but I think that the cut-out-letters-punk-style idea would be good 1. there's the whole punk thing and 2. you could safety-pin them on which I think would be good if you want to remove them without damaging the fabric.
You could also use duct-tape. You can find it in white at ACE Hardware or other shops like that. From my experiences it leaves fabric intact-- but I've only had it on normal t-shirts, skin, and things(my brother loves the stuff). Duct-tape would give the punk look, but should be straight, clean-cut, and easy to stick on and pull off. What do you think about duct-tape?
"Lesson Lesson... If you see a stranger, follow him" - Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivursky the 4th
"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!" - Asuka Langley Soryu

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:09 pm

They also sell printable transfer sheets at michaels, so I'm pretty sure you could just cut out the letters and not bother printing anything on them (since you want white). BUT that would not be removable.

If you want something removable, I'd go with either safety pins or what you could do (depending on the fabric of your coat) is sew them on but use longer stitches, then just take them off w/a seam ripper afterwards. This won't work, however, if your coat is leather because there will be holes left in the fabric. Just a thought. :)

lolirancar_ririnetto

Post by lolirancar_ririnetto » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm

go with the fabric cut outs, if you're worried about safety pins standing out, spray paint them black~!
Looking for new cosplay ideas and new friends! Ohyes.