How do you transport an oversized prop?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
narravy

How do you transport an oversized prop?

Post by narravy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 am

If the prop is too long/ too big/does not fit in your car, how do you transport it? There are some costumes I want to do but they mostly come with big props (mostly too tall to fit in a car, at least 6in). So I have been putting them in the "Can't do" list. But I just want to know, how do you transport an oversized prop by car? Do you prefer building a "collapsable" prop (not the right word but you know what I mean)? If so, any tips for building one?

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

I'm so glad I bought a huge Luxury car for this. Before that, I built strong wooden boxes, almost like Cofins and place the props in there with padding. The Top of the car had plenty of room, so I used that.

narravy

Post by narravy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:47 pm

the top of the car? wouldn't it somehow slide off or maybe stratch your car?

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:00 am

Place an old blanket between the car and the box, if any scrathes do happen use rubbing compound to buff them out. as for the slideing you can build in loop holes on the top, or even going through it. Make sure to use straps that you can slide inside your car so you can make sure it hugs it well.

They make camping attachments mainly for Minivans and SUVs, maybe look into those.

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:58 am

yeah big cars help but in lu of that...a hilt that unscrews help or I'v even seen dove tail jointing in the middle of things (width wise) with a small stif catch to hold it in place.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Nova

Post by Nova » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:46 pm

I have a tiny car and I know how you feel. I've had to take the back seats down so that I'd have trunk space to work with as well.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 am

Unless the material and design are such that disassembling isn't possible, collapsible prop is the way to go.

Look for natural lines where you could hide a join without disrupting the design, but be careful not to put joins in high-stress areas. For instance, on a big sword like Cloud's, don't put the break right where the handle meets the blade, or there won't be enough strength/rigidity to hold the sword straight.

Try alternative materials that are flexible or can be rolled or folded without damage.

A lot depends on the design of the prop. If it really must be one solid piece, then box it and strap it to the roof of your car like Sterling suggested. Auto stores, and probably Walmart too, sell equipment to securely strap things to the car without damaging it. :)

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 am

Nova wrote:I have a tiny car and I know how you feel. I've had to take the back seats down so that I'd have trunk space to work with as well.
Hehe, I'm in the exact same boat with you -- I tend to try to keep props to a minimum because of that exact reason XP

Collapseable props sound interesting, though! Thank you mrs.tomoe!
Why watch anime when you can be anime?
BeAnime.com
Find my tutorials & more on taeliac.DeviantArt.com

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:31 pm

I can build you a Transport box to any size with a mat that won't scratch your car.

I'll even tell you how to properly tie it down without risking looseing it.