anyone ever got ripped off?

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...

Have you ever got ripped off?

yes
57%
no
43%

Total votes: 7

vietgirl018

anyone ever got ripped off?

Post by vietgirl018 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 pm

i was wondering..have anyone here ever brought anything from here and ever got it?

it was my first time cosplaying and i brought this outfit from this user here on here. it costed me around $150 if i remember right. I keep on contacting her and she says she's having problems and what not. I've asked her to send me at least a picture of my outfit, but she says doesn't answer that question, she just goes off and saying that she's having money problems and that she's having problems with her internet.

well like right now...im scared to cosplay now >.< i dont want to be sending my money and then find out that ill never see the result of what my money was used on.

I'm scared >.<
Have something like this ever happen to anyone?
What should I do?
My deviantart
My facebook page

Current cosplay plans:

Upcoming conventions:
* Anime Expo 2017

starkyshark

Post by starkyshark » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:30 am

This is probably not what you want to hear, but this might be a $150 lesson. It's a shame that one user on ACP could ruin the reputation and integrity of the entire marketplace, but the simple fact is that it can, and does, happen. I think the ability for cosplayers to showcase and sell their work on here is a phenomenal aspect about ACP, but I think the problem is there is no system of accountability in place, like eBay feedback ratings, to make sure sellers actually produce the product they are selling. So, unless I had very good communication with the user beforehand, and we had a history of communication prior to my purchasing something, I wouldn't personally buy anything from the people selling on here because I don't trust merchandise to actually show up since there's no motivation for people to actually ship the items.

My suggestions: 1) Complain to the webmasters of American Cosplay Paradise about your situation and use that as an opportunity to suggest they implement a feedback rating system like on eBay and 2) Until a feedback system is installed, use eBay in the future. Meaning, if you find a user you want to buy something from, ask them to set up an auction specifically for your eBay username with a Buy It Now so you can purchase the item, and so you are both held accountable for payment.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:53 am

The best solution is to go through E-bay, you can request that, some may frown upon it because of the extra cost. If you want you can add in the extra $10 for postings. Call it "Security Money"

vietgirl018

Post by vietgirl018 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:35 am

well it kind of too late for me to buy it thru ebay...

have any advice for me? right now, im scared to cosplay >.< i dont want to get ripped off again.
My deviantart
My facebook page

Current cosplay plans:

Upcoming conventions:
* Anime Expo 2017

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:34 am

PM me the details

Captain Izu

Post by Captain Izu » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm sorry this happened to you! :oops: It's tough with buying anything online; both the buyer and the seller want to exchange at the same exact time so neither of you gets ripped off. Starkyshark has some good suggestions...I hope this doesn't discourage you from cosplaying! The only thing I can think of is...harass the hell out of the seamstress you ordered from! :o (No offense to honest costume people who do great work.)
"Ooh, me likey the oppressive totalitarianism." ~Peanut, Harvey Birdman

vietgirl018

Post by vietgirl018 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Captain Izu wrote:I'm sorry this happened to you! :oops: It's tough with buying anything online; both the buyer and the seller want to exchange at the same exact time so neither of you gets ripped off. Starkyshark has some good suggestions...I hope this doesn't discourage you from cosplaying! The only thing I can think of is...harass the hell out of the seamstress you ordered from! :o (No offense to honest costume people who do great work.)
well i tired that. but after a while she would answer me back and then say, "blah blah...give me more time"
My deviantart
My facebook page

Current cosplay plans:

Upcoming conventions:
* Anime Expo 2017