Cardcaptor Sakura

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
yashakid

Cardcaptor Sakura

Post by yashakid » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Im doin a sakura costume, the actual dress im ok with but Im gonna need to make the star staff. Ive never made a prop before so I dont even know where to start. Any ideas?

Duckeyy

Post by Duckeyy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:44 am

I have cosplayed that dress!

I made my own staff from stick and warped newspaper around it. Then i glued styrox circle and painted it. And last i glued the star and the wings there, but my staff isnt really good one since i didnt make those golden/red thingies there xD i didnt have enough time to do them well so i only painted them :D

but theres one post which helps ^^ thanks to Amiya x3
Amiya wrote:I would make the star first by drawing out the shape you want from cardboard and paper-mache it. Try foam tubes and bend it to the circle shape and cover it with another layer of paper mache *I suggest you use hot glue to attach the two together* As for the wings, try foam sheets and cut out the shape you want --> you could always add feathers to it if you want~

Sorry if it makes no sense...

yashakid

Post by yashakid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:25 pm

thanks so much for your help and for going the extra mile with the extra info. I really appreciate it and its very helpful

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Ooh! I don't know how much help it *actually* is, but I do know that you can get these wooden stars at Wal-Mart or JoAnn's or Michaels (or somewhere similar) that fit perfectly inside a styrafoam ring (that newer styrafoam stuff, I believe it's called "Dy-lite" or something similar - it's nicer to paint and to glue). The wooden stars are slightly beveled, too, so they're pretty close to the shape, and they're really light.

That would be the perfect base for the main part, and then you could use that craft foam for the little wings, and a dowel for the handle. The hardest part I can think of would be the joint in the middle, but using something like air drying clay or friendly plastic may be possible (although I can't speak on behalf of friendly plastic, as I've only used it once). Or perhaps a product called "paper clay", which is sand-able when it's dry.

I wish you much luck with it, and let us know how it goes :D
Why watch anime when you can be anime?
BeAnime.com
Find my tutorials & more on taeliac.DeviantArt.com

yashakid

Post by yashakid » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:11 pm

thanks so much, i'll post pictures after otakon this weekend