TUTORIAL: Pre Tied Bow

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
taeliac_studio

TUTORIAL: Pre Tied Bow

Post by taeliac_studio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:10 am

At the advice of Ms. Tomoe from CosplayLab, I'll post a link to my pre tied obi bow tutorial up here, too. I'll probably post the other tutorials I've made, too, when I have more than a minute :D

This was done for a Kotoko bow, but adapts well to any type of pre tied bow you may need to have - I've now used it to make doll sized bows, obi bows, neck bows - if it's a bow, and needs to keep it's shape, this really works wonderfully!

Adjust the heaviness of the interfacing you're using if you're using lighter fabric, or if you'd like it to look a little more natural :D

---> The Tutorial, on my DeviantArt page

Please let me know if you have any questions about this - I'll be glad to help :D
Why watch anime when you can be anime?
BeAnime.com
Find my tutorials & more on taeliac.DeviantArt.com

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Oh wow! Thank you so very much! I needed to learn how to do a bow for the Sailor Scouts outfits...I guess I just do them the same way right? They look like this...

...is it the same? o.O

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:26 pm

I definitely think that this is something you could do that with! Just, instead of pleating the center like I do in the tutorial, you may want to pinch it so it looks a bit more like theirs, and then simply add the bottom parts, too :D

It shouldn't be too different! Let me know how it goes - I love those outfits so much!
BeAnime.com

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Add the bottom part? o.O How would I add the bottom part to the bow?
It's kinda my first time getting ready to make these outfits..xD

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 am

Hiya taeliac. :) Thanks for making tutorials and posting the link.

xXDark_LunaXx wrote:Add the bottom part? o.O How would I add the bottom part to the bow?
It's kinda my first time getting ready to make these outfits..xD
For these particular bows which seem kinda stiff all over, you'd basically make two identical pieces as illustrated in the tutorial. One will be the upper portion (the 'loops' like when you tie your shoes), and the other will be the lower portion (the 'tails' or ends like when you tie your shoes). When you get to the point in the tutorial where you've pinched or pleated the centers and secured them so that they look like bows, just put the upper and lower together at the centers and secure them so they look like one unit. Then the "gem" will cover the part where they're joined.

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:10 pm

mrs.tomoe wrote:Hiya taeliac. :) Thanks for making tutorials and posting the link.
Not a problem! And thank you for explaining that - you're significantly clearer than I am with things like that ^^;
BeAnime.com

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 pm

You're welcome, although you're the one who did all the actual work.

I try my best to explain thoroughly when needed, at the risk of making things sound too babyish. Oh well, at least the info gets there.

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:25 pm

I may need to beg you to read thru my next couple of tutorials - I'm afraid I'm either leaving out very vital information, or making them sound too dumb XP

Ah, my kindom for an English major *sigh*
BeAnime.com

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:00 pm

No need to beg. I think tutorials are cool, and I like to help so just let me know when & what. ^_^

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:30 pm

....oh..okaiz..^.^ I'm SO nervous on making these!! I'm afraid I'll mess up......
C'est La Vie!!

taeliac_studio

Post by taeliac_studio » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:30 am

xXDark_LunaXx wrote:....oh..okaiz..^.^ I'm SO nervous on making these!! I'm afraid I'll mess up......
I wouldn't worry too much :D Just take your time, and plan out what you need to do. Kinda, mentally walk yourself through it step by step.

And, if it helps at all, every time I mess up, I learn a lot from it, so making it again is a lot easier in the future ~
BeAnime.com

xXDark_LunaXx

Post by xXDark_LunaXx » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:28 pm

(*nods bravely*) Yes...I will take my time!. :) ..but uhh..I have one more tiny, isty-bisty, teeny-weeny question..itz about something called shoe cover ups? o.O What are those? I'm sorry for asking so many questions!! :oops: xD
C'est La Vie!!