Wings tutorials or advice

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
*B*

Wings tutorials or advice

Post by *B* » Mon May 15, 2006 7:08 pm

I'm making a pair of wings for a Skuld costume. I've never made wings before, and I was wondering if anyone could help me find a tutorial that will help me to build very large wings. The picture is in my sandbox. I also am trying to figure out what materials I should use that will make the wings look metal. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL.
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai
Kaoru in Kingdom Hearts: Another Side
Winry Rockbell in Full Metal Alchemist
Skuld in Kingdom Hearts: The Keyblade War

Cat-chan

Post by Cat-chan » Mon May 15, 2006 8:31 pm

go to cosplay.com and do a search for wings in the props and acceseries forum. There are a lot of tutorials and links to sites if you dig a little.

*B*

Post by *B* » Tue May 16, 2006 5:41 am

I already did that. I didn't find anything I could use.
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

*B*

Post by *B* » Tue May 16, 2006 5:44 am

I think I have decided, however, to do the wings out of foam. I just need to figure out how to make a harness.
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

FlareonJupiter

Post by FlareonJupiter » Tue May 16, 2006 6:51 am

Skuld has angel wings, right (did Google image search)? Found these at Anytimecostumes.com, if they're what you're looking for:

22" wings:

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/005753730.html

33" wings:

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/005754056.html

I hope this helps you.

BlackKnightress210

Post by BlackKnightress210 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:11 am

I'm not sure if those are the right wings though FJ. However it's a good reference. I told my friend about it since she needs wings for a costume she's doing later in the year.

Anyhow. I'm pretty sure Skuld, is Skuld, and not the goddess protector behind her. So, I would suggest making those wings of hard foam or plastic. If you can't get any hard foam, use fun foam and stick something to the back just to keep it up. Like a clear bumper. I'm not sure what they're called, if you go to a craft store and describe it, they might know. It's long, you can cut it, and is usually square/cubed. The plastic is normally clear and has one side that you pull off this peel cover and there's tape on it. I'd use that to stiffen the foam in the center as you put it together.
As for the harness, I'm not sure. You can use fabric, like on most wings, and have the loops for the arms. But getting those wings to stay up since they'll be kind of heavy, I don't know.

shaowebb

Post by shaowebb » Tue May 30, 2006 9:04 am

Remember one thing with wings.
One type of feather wont look right.
Youll need at least 3

Youll need fluff for the inner most section
Then small feathers that extend past that area
Then LONG feathers as they go out
The finall feathers are usually painted plastic.

This makes the wing look far more realistic like a real bird wing.
So many people screw up and just start attaching a billion uniform feathers and it looks more like goofy cloak than a wing before its attached.
Never give up

*B*

Post by *B* » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 am

If any of you would take the time to look at the picture before you post, you'd see that I'M NOT MAKING ANGEL WINGS!!!! If you want to be helpful, take a look at what you're trying to help me make. Idid mention that they're made out of metal, and in order to understand WHY I'm asking for help, you should look at the picture in my sandbox.
I appreciate the advice, but it's the wrong advice.
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

shaowebb

Post by shaowebb » Wed May 31, 2006 6:08 am

You never mentioned a pic in the thread nor linked. URL please?
Never give up

*B*

Post by *B* » Wed May 31, 2006 7:35 am

I DID say where the picture is. Twice. If you click on the link to my cosplayer profile under my name, it's in my sandbox.
Proud Member of Ichidan
www.ichidan.com

Ichidan No Senpai

shaowebb

Post by shaowebb » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:11 am

Sorry. But its better to link than to just say sandbox. I didnt know what the hell you were talking about when you mentioned it being in your sandbox but I found it.

Anyhow...

Your best bet looks like wonderflex. Single sheets would maintain some flexibility and then layer it up as it gets closer to your body for the smaller feathers so that there stiffer and can support the long wing tips.
Suppose you could also use craft foam but I doubt that itd stay straight once it was built and itd kinda of droop.

Lucky you that youve got shoulder straps on the dress. YOu can build a backpack style harness for the wings that you can attach under your dress to support the wings. It wont show any and it should allow you to just attach the wings straight to the back of yourself.

Try using decent paints too. Something with actual metal in it like model car paint in an airgun. It might be best to just order a small pot of paint from your local body shop who does touch up work.
To add texture to the wings use inks such as a mixture of green and black dabbed over areas here and there. It should give the wings a less uniform glow and make them look more like real metal.
Id experiment with mixed inks on a test piece until you found some that'd give you a texture youd like. Use cotton balls for this by the way.

Shouldnt be too hard just tedious. All that pattern cutting and heat gun shaping of wonderflex. But hey it'll stop anyone with eyeballs at a con so enjoy it ^_^
Never give up