Well-known or obscure?

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...

What characters do you prefer to cosplay as?

Well-known - everyone knows who I am, and I get lots of attention
No votes
Obscure - I want to be the only one of my character
100%

Total votes: 9

TR Rose

Well-known or obscure?

Post by TR Rose » Thu May 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Do you prefer to cosplay as well-known or obscure characters? Well-known characters are quickly recognized, but you may not have a unique costume. Obscure characters may not be known by many people, but your costume is the only one of its kind at an event.

Which do you prefer?

gravigurl

Post by gravigurl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:09 pm

I do like three or four cosplays in one con so I do a mixture of them. I was surprised though with how many people who came up to me saying 'OMG you look fab! Can I take your picture?...By the way, who are you suposed to be?'
I was Mana from Malice Mizer I got the same reaction by I think more people when I was Shuichi from Gravitation for some reason
I am open for prop Commissions from the following series: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Sailor Moon and cardcaptors Sakura.

immortalbeloved0

Re: Well-known or obscure?

Post by immortalbeloved0 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Something in the middle perhaps? I try to gather a few idea's on characters I would like to be [regardless if it's anime or not], and then sort of 'compare and contrast'.

On one hand, I would like to have a costume that's at least something in which every person won't give me this confused "wtf?" look for. But on the other, it's nice to have something a little different then the 80 thousand Chobits girls running around in a pink ballerina tutu. This does NOT mean that doing a popular character make's a costume less attractive if crafted beautifully. But when I attended Anime Expo, I am not going to lie...it was a sea of mooncostumes.com Naruto characters. There had been very few well crafted costumes for these popular series, which I feel is important to consider when you're aware that the series your doing is extremely popular at the time.

I found that people who where doing more obscure or lesser known characters had put a lot more time into their costume, and out-shinned many of the popular characters. It could be attributed to, the more popular, the more widely available the pre-made costume's are.

But I don't put a huge effort into going out of my way to say "I am going to make something so rare that people will HAVE to give me the attention >:3 MWUAHAHA!", I am not going to carry a 'page views' counter around my neck to judge how 'popular' or 'attractive' I am. The popularity of the character/series is more of a final element when debating between several characters.