Help on FFX Yuna Sleeves

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
hyperionwitch

Help on FFX Yuna Sleeves

Post by hyperionwitch » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Does anyone know how to get that lovely white-pink gradient on FFX Yuna's sleeves? My friend and I are puzzled. Thanks!

RottenOnion

Post by RottenOnion » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:11 pm

Well, (i've never made any Yuna costumes but)...
It seems that people grandient dye it. I dunno how you would go about doing this or the process of it ^^;;

But you should check on cosplay.com in the forums in the FinalFantasy section. They have alot of yuna threads.
"Quick! Fill in the blanks!"
LJ

hyperionwitch

Post by hyperionwitch » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:01 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out. ^^

saihi_slowmotionhunter

Post by saihi_slowmotionhunter » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:04 pm

well, me and my friend dyed ours with food colorign with some water color and acryllic paint ^-^. It turned out good!
if you want me to fall for you, you have to give me something worth tripping over.

Skull Rabbit

Post by Skull Rabbit » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:28 am

I made a yuna... I just put like a pinkyrose color dye in a spray bottle, hung my sleeve up, and sprayed the dye on, it looked good after. Like make a diluted dye solution to do the upper part, and just mix in more dye slowly to get it darker as you go down..

it just worked well for me :)

Tsubame

Post by Tsubame » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:49 pm

I think this is the eaysiest part of the costume, I making also it and it is the first part.

Well, you have to do this form with white coton (cotton it's the only possible to dye, with pink cloth dye):
________
_____________| : |_____________
| : |
|_________________:_________________|

You must fold the piece for the points and sew it for the side. It's the same process for do a pluix but you must set free a space for the arms.

If you have more doubts, mail me, i'll help you

WINGS

Yuna Summoner Sleeves

Post by WINGS » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:31 pm

I sew the sleeves together then I mix up my rose pink RIT dye in a large bowl and then dye from there. You have to read the directions on the box to ensure proper dyeing but you can get the gradient that you are looking for pretty easily that way and it's permanent, and you have to use a dyeable fabric, cotton works well and it pretty much fits for the type of fabric the sleeves are anyways.
WINGS

hyperionwitch

Post by hyperionwitch » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:39 pm

Thanks everyone, my friend's sleeves turned out wonderfully. ^^

Corvus Luna

more yuna costume questions...

Post by Corvus Luna » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm

well, i'm new to cosplaying...really new...never done it before...but i want to try Yuna's Summoning costume. thanks to this thread i now know how to do the sleeves, but does anyone have suggestions for getting the pattern on the skirt??
any and all help will be greatly appreciated...

be nice to the newbie!
^-^;;
When I see myself in my dreams as a butterfly, and see myself as a man when I awake, I do not know whether I am a man who dreams he is a butterfly, or a butterfly who dreams he is a man.
-Shoji

Etherrawen

Post by Etherrawen » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:48 pm

Corvus Luna: I handpainted the design on my skirt; I first sewed the darn thing together, and drew the design on the outside and inside of the pleats with a while fabric pencil. I then went over the drawing VERY carefully with ivory colored matte fabric paint. It turned out pretty well!

Corvus Luna

Post by Corvus Luna » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:40 pm

awesome, i'll try it. does the paint get sticky though? i've used fabric paints before and i remember it was a pain because it stuck to everything, what type of paint did you use?
thanks for the help!
When I see myself in my dreams as a butterfly, and see myself as a man when I awake, I do not know whether I am a man who dreams he is a butterfly, or a butterfly who dreams he is a man.
-Shoji

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:16 am

That's what Saphyr did - she fabric painted the whole thing (including the obi). Fabric paint will be sticky/stick to itself and result in damage if you don't let it dry completely. It'll be shiny, but it won't stick to itself permanently when it's fully dry. Even if two layers come into contact, you should be able to pull them apart without tearing any of the paint off. Just give it a day or two to dry, depending on how thick it is.

details
the image she had
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Corvus Luna

Post by Corvus Luna » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:08 pm

awesome, thanks. oh, just as a thought, has anyone ever tried embroidering the design? namely anyone with one of those high tech sewing machines?
much thanks!
-Shoji

WINGS

Post by WINGS » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:11 pm

I get paint pens and I actually cut my fabric first then I draw my design on let it dry then pleat and sew. I used to draw out the vines on green fabric and pink for the flowers and then ironed ( I cant think of what it't called) the fusible double backed stuff so that it could be ironed onto the skirt, then you can zigzag around the vines and flowers. This is time consuming, thus why I switched to paint pens, but gives you more of an embriodered effect if you don't have an embroidery machine.
WINGS

stevebarnum

Post by stevebarnum » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

You could try using this weird dye I've heard of, Curcumin or something, that's supposed to have also antibacterial properties, but also might help you get better colors.