Costume for Tidus

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
TidusBlitz1

Costume for Tidus

Post by TidusBlitz1 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:23 pm

Hewwo!! I'm trying to get into cosplay, but I flat out refuse to do it until my costume is as close to perfect as it can get. But what I need is some help with actually making the costume... I'm a terrible seamstress... except I'm male. What material, what should I use as a base, etc? I already have a sword for a props, so that's no biggie. I do have a limited budget though. So if you can think of anything I'd have laying around the house, please inform me. Thanks in advance.
"This is your story!"~Auron FFX

glass snow

Post by glass snow » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:28 am

welll...
for his...short..jumper thing..
i would get a hold of some light weight vinyl..if its the wrong color you can alwas paint it back with acrylic craft paint ( i ahve done this before..it does not chip)
other wise, you will have to hit the stores..search around on ebay for fabric..that is what i suggest..
Choice of faith should not be somthing that seperates us, but somthing that ties us..love is the ultimate key.

tddm.org - nice daily words
homestarrunner.com <------ GO THERE ITS SOOO HALARIOUSE!

kiarrens

Post by kiarrens » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:32 pm

*deep breath* Ok... You're picking a really hard costume, but I'll see what I can do.

Shorts/Suspenders: I'd suggest using black plether. You can buy it here. www.stretchworld.com For the Jecht symbol on his right leg you'll have to use fabric paint or acrylics but it should look nice on the plether. It looks like he's got some webbing on the back of that leg attatched to the front with eyelets, which are easy to buy and put on. For the webbing, just use the plether in overlapping strips.

Shirt: I'd just use white cotton for the lining and either yellow cotton or quilted fabric for the outside. Same goes for the blue, and red plether or vinyl should work for the webbing on his left arm.

Gauntlet: This one's a little tougher. On his left arm he's got this armored gauntlet-type thing, looks like layered metal from the pic I'm looking at. If you want to go all-out you could make it with sheetmetal, or go the fiberglass resin way. There are ways to do it with fabric also, if you don't want to work with either of those options, but you'd really just have to play around with stuffing and/or padding. Personally I'd make it out of fiberglass, but it's kinda dangerous and not a lot of people like working with it.

Accesories: Gloves should be pretty easy to come by, as well as the belt and chain he has hanging from his waist. The little crosses on the suspenders could be made any manner of ways, and I've seen the necklace on sale at various anime stores and on Ebay.

Good luck, hope some of this helped you!
~Kia-chan