I Need Help With My Krad Wig

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Lady_Subaru62

I Need Help With My Krad Wig

Post by Lady_Subaru62 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:25 pm

I was wondering if any one could give me advice on how to create his wig. Any help would be great. Thanks
Please come to my new store. www.cafepress.com/cosplayrice

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:05 pm

When I did the Krad wig for my friend, SeraMunn, I used a femme fatale to start and then added in extensions for the back ponytail. It made the wig extremely heavy in back and the way I did it wasn't exactly what I considered the best at the time.

Now that I think on it, I would probably pull the extensions for the ponytail through much the same way a person would for parting-for-pigtails.

Yea, I've been going over that in my head recently about trying a new Krad wig with that idea since when I had sewn the extensions to the wig on the previous Krad, I wasn't happy that sometimes the caulk line would show. Poking it through the wig would eliminate that.

With the top, it's really your own preference on what you want to do.

Krad's hair changes on top from frame to frame and it's hard to figure out which one you want exactly from that. I chose to be technical and I ended up with a more Cloud-like look from that. At the time, I used caulk to create the spikes but I think I would use caulk for the more intense spikes but use hairspray to cause some lift in the hair too.

As you can tell, Krad's wig is one that I want to do another of.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Lady_Subaru62

Post by Lady_Subaru62 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:21 pm

I was thinking about getting extentions fron Dr. Dreads site. How would I attach them to the wig. This is the part that I am stuck on. I was wondering if I could start with a longer wig and just add to the pony tail that I can make with the hair.
Please come to my new store. www.cafepress.com/cosplayrice

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:10 pm

I went over both ways to attach it in my previous post.

When you add the hair onto the wig in the first place, you'll find it incredibly hard to pull a hair tie through it. When my ponytail was done, the wig was 60 inches of raw length and that, if you don't realize, is quite a lot to try and put up in a ponytail.

I had to fold the ponytail over and tie ribbons on it just to make it easier for me to pull the hair through. The shoulder-length hair from the wig that was originally there really didn't have much to do with it though because I started out short up there.

If you want a long wig (longer than shoulder length so back-length) don't do it. It'll just make your job harder and on top of that, wigs with length like that don't have thick tops. The Enchantment from Amphigory for instance is nice on length but it's thin on top, making it a poor choice for Krad because he's particuliarly thick on top.

If you don't want to sew the extensions in though, which I don't suggest, try the pull through method that I suggested. It's just like doing the part-for-pigtails but the difference is that you don't go through all the holes down the part, just the ones where you want the ponytail to pop out at.

If you sew the extension (which I made 3 and just attached one on top of another), when you pull it up into a ponytail, you run the risk of the caulk line from where you made the weft, showing through.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1