Bender from futurama

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Escamilla_R

Bender from futurama

Post by Escamilla_R » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi, i don’t know if I’m getting into forbidden territory asking for help with a non-Japanese character.

I started making the body of Bender maybe sometime around 1 year ago, and never got it right.

First started with some iron wires, trying to make a decent mold and later cover it with paper (my idea has always been making bender in a easy to handle material, not carton ), and after getting horrible molds with the wire, and a lot of patience with the paper, I got the body. I wasn’t happy with the result, maybe not because the uncomfortable of the costume, but because if a stupid kid wants to ruin my work at any con, will be an easy test, for the weakness of the material. I got the idea to reforce it with paper mache (yes) but after a night of trying I passed the idea. Maybe two more series of paper will make the work

Now I’m going for the head, the body was easy, but I really have no idea with the head, because of the details it envolves.

If someone has a good idea to make the cosplay work I’ll appreciate it. I’m 20 years old, and never made a cosplay. I really don’t want to get old telling myself why I didn’t made any as a young man.

Siaarn

Post by Siaarn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:36 am

You're insane :D Good luck.
Oh my gawsh.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:11 pm

The body is complete?

for the head, use one of those glass domes used for showing food... or something close to it. just paint over it with paint and paint everything up, keep the eye's open. for the mouth, use Glow in the dark paint to add a cool effect.

Escamilla_R

Post by Escamilla_R » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:56 pm

Is almost complete. Just need a little reforce and paint and is ready. Although I’m not very happy with the results, the costume it’s a little tight, works fine with small walks, I hope it last an entire day.

The glass dome is a very good idea, that was a problem, the curve in the top of the head, but also don’t have idea how to make the eyes holders. And my biggest fear it’s that the head fish to little-big comparing with the body

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:26 am

I highly recomend you use small Hoola-hoops with grey or silver metalics fabric and metal conduit to hold the frame together. for the legs I strongly advise flexible ducts that they use for laundry dryers for the limbs.

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:39 pm

Be careful with ducts, they can be sharp- but that's likely your best bet. As for the glass dome- you might be able to find something similar in plastic- I've seen one that contained playground balls, but that was a long time ago.
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:25 pm

oohhhhhhh yeah... forgot about those.

The ducts can also be found in plastic as they are now a safty hazard ost of the time useing metal anymore.

Akumu_Trinket

Post by Akumu_Trinket » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:49 am

I may be a little behind on this but for hands and such duct taped gloves? As for the legs I do agree with the plastic and just a bit of warning that will be very uncomfortable but if you put a little bit of the magic duct tape around the edges with strips of felt under it, it would be much much more comfortable to avoid pinching and such.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:16 pm

Get some drey magic gloves. They'll be much better looking and will have comfort and dexterity.