Weapon making

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Lady_Subaru62

Weapon making

Post by Lady_Subaru62 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:25 pm

I had a question about making weapons. I had an idea to make the big weapons out of pink foam then cover them in cheescloth covered in glue. Then after that drys to use paper mache pulp on it then let it dry then sand and paint it. What do you think?
Please come to my new store. www.cafepress.com/cosplayrice

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:33 am

I think you don't need to do as many steps. After you carve the foam, you should only have to add a single covering to it, I like to use drywall repair compound (not plaster of paris) or wood filler, and then sand that and paint.

Mind, I don't use foamcore that often, I like wood or metal to give some weigth to the weapon.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 am

clear contact paper and a hot blower will make it tighter and smoother... not cheese paper. But good idea

Lady_Subaru62

Post by Lady_Subaru62 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:05 am

I am going to use wood for some of the weapons that I am going to make but for the really big ones, they would be way to heavy to carry. Ok thanks for the tips.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:17 am

Say, are you planning to make Komugi's giant syringe? :wink:
That would be cool.

Lady_Subaru62

Post by Lady_Subaru62 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:48 am

I might

Alchem

Post by Alchem » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:17 am

It's kind of hard to do and expensive, but if you have the funds making resin or hard plastic casts is great. For hilts for swords or certain pieces that are finer use quikset plastic or maybe an alginate for a mold. From there you can fill your mold with a number of different easily available compounds. Some are better or worse for painting, takes a little research as there are many different mixes and individual product forumlas. A lightweight resin fill produces so-so sturdy props that look exceptional. Mixing pigments with the resin produces an extremely uniform metallic effect. Once again, read some tutorials or send me an email about this etc. if you don't know how i'll be glad to help! For longer blades you can use the same method, but materials cost goes way up. Usually a treated foam with a spray shell works exceptionally.
"Guys...you realize were making gundams out of cardboard....?"

-Me, 2004