Moogle Costume Help?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Dani x Chan

Moogle Costume Help?

Post by Dani x Chan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:47 pm

Ok well maybe this post belongs in here, and I'm REALLY sorry for the double post x____x; Mkai, well I was thinking about making a sort of Moogle Lolita dress for Baycon 2004 this year. Except Im sort of at a hault with ideas. For instant, how to make the wings, what should I do for my arms because Im a little self concious about them? Should I make a corset for the top of the costume? Construction ideas would really be appreciated! Im sort of a chubbier girl and I was just wondering if maybe people would even like the concept of a moogle around. Wha do you think? I already have an idea of bringing a save book and giving out kupo nuts at the convention but I'm not really sure what I could use as a Save book. Maybe Ia really big photo album? Lol. Well I really hope to hear some input into this x__x Thanks guys! <3
Last edited by Dani x Chan on Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Kupo?Image

Where in the world is my Shrimp Ramen?! ::Scurries around on a world wide search::

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:59 pm

go to a fabric store and buy some white fake fur on bolts, and make armwarmers, legwarmers and then a little tube dress out of it. It'll be cute.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:40 pm

hehe, I've got to see this

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:44 pm

I'd be scared to see a moogle walking around. @_@ As for a Moogle Lolita.... I'm still pretty much scared. XD That is, unless you want a "normal" dress with moogle characteristics.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:32 pm

Shinigami-X wrote:I'd be scared to see a moogle walking around. @_@ As for a Moogle Lolita.... I'm still pretty much scared. XD That is, unless you want a "normal" dress with moogle characteristics.

And for WHY would you be scared seeing a moogle walking around?! Is it so bad...I think it would be cute and adorable...CUTE AND ADORABLE! ::Pops a kupo nut into your mouth:: Ne'ways...I might not do the Lolita because I think it might mess the whole Moogle concept up. And if you have "Normal" dress characteristics for a moogle then send them my way ^.^
Image Kupo?Image

Where in the world is my Shrimp Ramen?! ::Scurries around on a world wide search::

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:33 pm

Sterling wrote:hehe, I've got to see this
I'll be sure to show pictures if wanted...Though it's not going to be for awhile because Baycon isn't until May...I think...Lol
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:41 am

I've seen a lot of versions of adaptations of moogles for dresses done, and it's usually pretty simple. Just do a simple white dress. I've seen them empire-waisted but I don't know if that's necessary or not. I think any original idea you have would work, as long as you keep it simple. The idea for leg warmers seems neat. I don't know about making the actual dress out of fur, though, because that might be hot to wear. You could use some kind of linen or cotton if you want. Or if you really wanted to do a full-on lolita, most of them are made with satin. I wouldn't suggest a first-time cosplayer making something with satin, though, as it is hell to work with and slips a lot.
It's not love that makes the world go 'round; it's fanboys and fangirls.

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:19 am

I was thinking of changing the patterns of a gothic lolita dress with a few changes in color. Also, a headband would work pretty nicely for the moogle antenna thingy mabobber~ (What is that thing anyway?) A pair of white gloves and something for the forearms would go nicely with those leg warmers Tia mentioned.

I can't really think of anything right now. I have to redo a prop for Hemu-chan~~~ @_@ Has she been on the last few days? >.<

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:38 pm

I think peachskin or moleskin actually might work well now that I think about it. And yeah, you could make one of the EGL head thingies to go over the headband for the antennae and secure it in place on it and that'd look really neat. How long is your natural hair? It might be cute to have pigtails with those big curls that a lot of Lolitas do. You might also want to make a petticoat out of either crinoline or tulle to go under the skirt to make it really EGL-ish. There is actually a special foot for your sewing machine that you can use to make the petticoat I have heard. I haven't been able to get one for myself yet, though.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 pm

Tia wrote:I think peachskin or moleskin actually might work well now that I think about it. And yeah, you could make one of the EGL head thingies to go over the headband for the antennae and secure it in place on it and that'd look really neat. How long is your natural hair? It might be cute to have pigtails with those big curls that a lot of Lolitas do. You might also want to make a petticoat out of either crinoline or tulle to go under the skirt to make it really EGL-ish. There is actually a special foot for your sewing machine that you can use to make the petticoat I have heard. I haven't been able to get one for myself yet, though.
Well a Lolita would be really fun to do but seeing as how I'm just starting out I don't really think I could get a full on good looking Lolita and really wouldn't know where to begin x__x And not to sound stupid or anything but I have no idea what EGL is. I was thinking maybe I would make a corset and sew a peice of material to it and make a can-can slip ( I don't know what to call them XD ) to put underneath. And as for my hair it's right to the middle of my back. I was thinking on getting a white wig but they cost waaaay to much for me XD I appreciate so much of your guys' help <3 Do keep the ideas comming...Im not really sure on what kind of shoes to have...Maybe I could edit some slippers or someboots and have the material fit over them? Im not sure how that would work, Lol. And as for what the heck is on top of the Moogles head...We ( I having no idea who 'we' exactly is ) just call it a bon-bon ;x
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:24 pm

It wouldn't really be that hard to do. You could either just modify a simplicity period pattern or buy one of the gothic and lolita bibles and use a pattern out of those. They have some really nice ones. I've been trying to get them off ebay lately, but they've been hard to get. I do know that jpophouse.com sells them, but they are a tad pricey. But I think it's the best you can do right now. Since you have short hair you could just leave it loose and do curls and then just have the headband go over it. It'd work best if you had bangs, but if you don't that's okay, too. EGL is better with natural hair, not a wig.

EGL isn't really one thing you can put your finger on. There are three different varieties of it, and it's really all about creativity. You could try googling for "Elegant Gothic Lolita" and then just looking at a lot of pics to get a feel for it. It is very childlike. Overly so. Think of yourself as a little doll. That's what the style really is.

The thing on top of their head would be a styrofoam ball painted (but not with spray paint!).

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 am

Here are a few gothic lolita bibles, if you're interested. There are now three, that's right, three volumes up! Download them while they're still hot! >.<

ftp://acp:cosplay@lifeanbu.no-ip.org/ (Note: If the link is down, it's probably because my computer crashed. Just wait until I get back from school and I should have this puppy up and running. ^^)

Fénicia

Post by Fénicia » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:06 pm

This is a moogle-outfit that I commisioned for a girl.
She desined it and I made it.

Tia

Post by Tia » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:20 pm

So cute Fenicia ^_^ I think the gloves with trim is a cut idea. I like the feathers. Whether you use fur or feathers is up to you. It'd be really fun to design something like this. *loves making original costumes*

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:35 pm

Yea, that is nice. =) I was thinking of something with more frills though. I'll try to draw it out after I finish studying. >.<

Edit: BTW, the ftp server for the gothic lolita mags will go down tomorrow, so get them while you can. (Yes, everyone can dl it. Just hurry!!!)

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:42 pm

Here's a drawing of what I kinda had in mind, but kinda got lazy at the skirt and rushed. XD My original thoughts on the skirt was to have it about knee-level with boots that would match with the outfit. For EGL, you GOTTA have the large boots. >.< Other than that, it'll be heck to do. Just check out the other designs if you want.

Image[/img]

Tia

Post by Tia » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:12 pm

It just doesn't seem very moogle-y to me is all....

Shinigami-X

Post by Shinigami-X » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:22 pm

You're right! I forgot how those little critters look like. XD I just took a few different samples from the GL bibles and compiled them. I'll have something moogle-ish tomorrow.

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:27 am

Oh okay lol. It looks good for a normal EGL, though. *is still confused on why you need the big boots*

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:22 am

You know, Cospinay did something very moogle-ish but I can't find a picture of it at the moment from the school. I'll get one of it though when I get home.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21966
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21968
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:40 pm

don't forget little purple wings. Those are essential and a lot of people forget them.
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:07 pm

That is such a cute costume ^_^ the leg warmers really came out perfect. It's hard to make those suckers, too. Yeah, the wings are important. Wings are kinda annoying to do, though, because of working with the wire. I'm gonna be making three big pairs this summer, and it's going to be a lot of work considering I want each one to have ten feather pieces that are pretty much the store-bought faerie wings you can get. I just hope they won't be too heavy.

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:15 pm

Yes, the outfit itself reminds me heavily of a moogle and a friend of hers ended up having one exactly like it but made only for Ryo-ohki.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:49 pm

Hemuloki-sama wrote:You know, Cospinay did something very moogle-ish but I can't find a picture of it at the moment from the school. I'll get one of it though when I get home.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21966
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21968
That....Is major the cute ^.^ I would TOTALLY do something like that if I wasn't so chubby! Lmao...Yeah Im self contious so sue me, it happens =__= And I kind of have a concept down from all the help...I would draw it if I could...buuut I can't Lol. And Im also debating on Purple or Red wings....I think Im going to go with purple.
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:19 am

I like purple. Lol, I know it's obvious ^_^ What is the general idea for it? Maybe I could try drawing it up...

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:31 pm

Well you know I was kinda thinking sort of a corset dress kinda thing...Im not really sure anymore though because I just have wheels going in my head and debate teams scrambled all over the place. But I was thinking maybe A corset dress, the dress be a little below or above the knees and leg and arm warmers...And maybe like a fuzzy white chocker and ears. I've seen people make really interesting moogle feet and Im pondering on how they would go about that...It intreigs me so, Lol.
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:50 pm

Okay. I'll keep that in mind. I'll hopefully have some down time tomorrow after I go to the library to do research on my occult paper so I'll probably sketch something up then. Oh, I just wanted to say that I saw a petticoat sale going on but I don't know if they are in your size. There was a nice light-colored one that might look cute with the moogle costume. The person selling them said they would fit about 44-48 " waist. I don't know if that's too big for you, though. Cause you said you were just a little chubby. Here is the post: http://cosplayplus.klypso.com/forums/in ... 79dd7c7be1

I keep meaning to join CosPlus, I'm just on wayyy too many cosplay forums 0.o;

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:08 pm

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders ... esign2.jpg

Okey ^-^ WELL! I finally got a design of the costume I wanna make! Spiffy eh? Lol, anyways, I had a friend draw it out for me and that's what im hoping it looks like. I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out on what types of material I should use or any other helpful information I could possibly use to make this costume kick arse for my first ever convention. I would appreciate it much <3 Sorry it's so gosh darn big! x____o;
Last edited by Dani x Chan on Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Kupo?Image

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 pm

Can't you just link to it using the URL bottom?

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:34 am

It's really cute, but yeah, it's kind of big to be in the main post area. About the wings, though, you're probably going to have to devise a strap system instead of just glueing or attaching them directly to the corset. I've always wanted to do an EGL with a vinyl corset, but I don't know if that'd be for you. But for the skirt, I think definitely something silky like peachskin or moleskin or maybe really nice satin (not the cheap stuff). For the tulle in the petticoat, you could either do all white, all silver, or all purple, or a combination of the three.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:37 pm

I apologize again for the damn picture x____o;. And I was thinking of something with foe fur because Im going to have the little leg warmer things and Im thinking I might do the arm warmers in foe fur as well. And I was thinking since the corset is going to be pin stripe I could put for fur ont he corset every other stripe. And I was thinking that I could wait a pair of white tights and then purple fishnet tights over those. Also I was thinking maybe I could do the wings from wire hangers? I would have NO idea how to begin with that tough so Im not really sure >_<;
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:17 pm

Ooh. I like the idea of the fur stripes on the corset. I still think the rest of it being white vinyl would be awesome, too, though. Fur is good for the arm things and leg warmers. I like the idea for the tights. I'm doing something like that. I'm gonna have a pair of regular purple tights with black fishnet over them. Well, as for the wings, you could use wire hangers, but you'd go through so many and bending them into straight pieces and then into the curves would be a lot more work than necessary. I mean, it's okay for making one into one cat tail, but too much work with it is frustrating. You could just head over the Home Depot and pick up some wire there. You're probably going to need to see if anybody you know has a soldering iron you can borrow, though, because you'll need to solder the wing supports in place. You also might need a special kind of solder. You can find that at Home Depot, too, I think.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:58 am

See, the thing that really sucks is that in the genral area where I live there is no home depot around unless you really want to drive like...a couple hours to get to a big town that has one. And Im kind of upset now because I asked a friend about what he thinks about the costume and he said he didn't know what it would look like because the costume was drawn skinny and Im not exactly skinny. Im not sure if he was saying it was going to look bad but now Im having second thoughts on making it just because of what he said about my size >_<;
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:42 am

Uh. Pretty much all concepts for costumes are done like that. Just try to think about what it'd look like on you. Without, you know, being horribly pessimistic. The only really big issue I could see is the corset. It's really hard to make them well enough to hold most people up. You would need to use spring steel on it. But then, again, there's home depot. I dunno, maybe there is a way you could get it shipped to you? I'm thinking the shipping would be kinda high, though. =/

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:48 pm

corsets are a butt to make. Be careful with that.

Tia

Post by Tia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:55 pm

There are patterns that you could use, but you'll have to
1. do a test version and try it on to make sure it will be tight enough
2. make a second closure in the front so you can put it on and off easily after it's tied the first time. You could probably put that on the side of the central fur stripe, because people would notice it less then. You'll need a lot of hooks and eye and much patience for that part.
3. Learn how to do boning. I would suggest spring steel also instead of the actual boning because you said you are a bit self-conscious about wearing the costume. It should actually work with your figure to make you appear thinner, if worn properly. It makes your butt look kinda big comparatively, though, but I guess that's a good thing too.
4. You'll need to put eyelets in the back of it for the lacing. I have had problems myself with the button-making kits and vinyl (it broke the material around the edge) so you should probably ask the ladies at the fabric store what kind of eyelets they would suggest because it's really easy to pop holes through vinyl.
5. I have been told that a good method for making seams with vinyl is that you fold it over once and hold that in place with wash-out glue (I have been told that you can buy it at fabric stores but I would probably just use elmers unless I could find something that worked better). Then you make the second seam and you have no nasty looking holes. Also, I have heard that people use the clippies that are like paperclips for really thick papers instead of pins to hold the vinyl in place.
6. If you don't buy the petticoat separately, invest in either a ruffle foot or a kick-ruffler. I have heard they work wonders and save you hours of extra time and sore hands from hand-ruffling.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Do you do commissions Tia? Lol. Well that's all good information I should run by my aunt. Im not quit experienced in making costumes yet but with your help Im learning a lot and I appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the tips! And I dunno if vinyl is kinda my thing XD. If I did that what would I make the dress itself? I'd have the corset and them the peice of material over the petticoat...What kind would do with it? What's a good alternative if I don't want to do vinyl? Sorry if these question are a little stupid by the way x_____ o Please keep the info comming...Lol
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:41 pm

Yeah, I do. But I'm a bit bogged down lately. If I did take this commission, it'd have to be all I did for spring semester, due to the complicated corset. For the body of the dress, I would use peachskin or moleskin. If you didn't want to use vinyl, just use something heavy. A lot of the corsets I see are heavy satin brocade. You could probably do okay with buying a white corset and then adding the fur onto it and somehow attaching it to the skirt. Or making the skirt like a dress and wear the corset over it like a lot of renaissance costumes have. I haven't actually made a corset before, so it would be kind of difficult doing it and not having the person there with me to work off of. It would really be pushing myself, though. I'd probably have to turn down the advertisement gig I volunteered to do for a sailor scout for Dragon*Con, since I still have the Celestin to do. I was kind of hoping I could get that done in the week before school starts back and after I've gotten back from research, but that's pushing it too.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:27 pm

Ok well here's what Im thinking Im going to do. Buy a corset online somewhere ( Though I don't know where to find one like the one in the pictures, i've looked a lot too.) and somehow sew a piece of material to that and wear a petticoat underneath. I can't really find any good petticoats or petticoat sites either. I want one that at the knee or a little past knee length and not to fluffy, Lol. But I'm not sure if that a good idea. What do you guys think?
Image Kupo?Image

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:34 pm

http://www.cosaru.com Sells Petticoats that are knee-length and aren't very fluffy.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:11 am

I can't....Seem to find them...Sorry Im a little retarded >_<;
Image Kupo?Image

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:25 pm

It's in the samples area, near the bottom.

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:48 pm

If you can find the petticoat and skirt and the rest of it, you could probably commission one of the recreationist people to make you that corset. I was on a website the other day that had some gorgeous original corsets, but I can't remember where it was now. ;_; Gomen nasai.

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:59 am

Yeah I probably could because I'm having a real hard time finding a right corset...And it's annoying the heck out of me because I don't want to have to but a corset and redo it just for the material purpose. I hope you know what I mean...But...Yeah, Lol, thanks for the help and Im still trying to find a good petticoat ;x
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:32 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. Like covering it with another kind of material to make it look right, I guess. I will try to find that site with the awesome corsets. I found it on cosplay.com somewhere I think...

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:38 am

That would be most awsome because I'm having the hardest time trying to find a plain corset to match the one in the drawing...And I really wouldn't know where to begin in making one and I know they take awhile to get it just right.
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:56 am

I think it's a nineteenth century period corset (I think), the kind that laces in the front. I prefer that kind myself because it's easier to get in and out of. Otherwise, you have to deal with two million hooks and eyes, and they can get bent easily.

wingruby

Post by wingruby » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:52 pm

How difficult is your corset?
What are the complicate parts?

Dani x Chan

Post by Dani x Chan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:05 pm

Well I don't think it's TOO difficult but...I dunno, Lol. And I posted the linkt o the kind of corset I want a page back I believe
Image Kupo?Image

Tia

Post by Tia » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:22 pm

Ah. I got confused. I blame it on not sleeping enough lately. I guess it's really more of an 18th century corset.