Anime Expo Safety?

(Southern California, Arizona, Nevada)
Andichan

Anime Expo Safety?

Post by Andichan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Is anyone else a little concerned that AX this year is being held at the LACC? I know I am! I live in/near L.A. and I really don't think that the convention center is really a safe place for people to be walking around in costumes, especially at night. I know last year in Long Beach, my husband and I got a little trouble from people not involved with AX, but that still would be safer than LA! I heard that the Aneheim center is raising prices, so thats why a lot of conventions no longer go there.

Just wondering if anyone else shares my sentiments...

Also, a warning to those who go, just be really safe, ok? :(

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Yeah Me and All of my friends have a huge issue with the safety and how our concerns were addressed by AX staff so we are Boycotting AX this year. If they are not concerned about our safety and the safety of the young, disabled, tourist, and people not generally from the area then they don't need our money or patronage. I am not going to pay to walk a mile in heels to a convention in a high risk area.

Many share our sentiment. If you are going Be Careful, if you aren't going because of the issuses, then thank you for the support. Maybe once LACC has their attached hotels and enclosed shopping areas with security (2009 ish) then I will think about attending AX in the LACC.

Till then I'll either go small or out of state.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:08 pm

It's really good to know that I am not the only one who is thinking of this. My husband and I are not attending this year, so I need to find another one in CA that I can go to! I know there are several good ones, but as I have mostly stuck to AX in previous years, I'm not sure which one to go to! :/

Good to know, though that maybe in the not-too-far future, the convention center may be a little safer. I don't know why they couldn't have stuck with long beach! I even would have been willing to pay a little more for anaheim. :(

I feel bad for those who do not know and may be coming from out of state.

evanae

Post by evanae » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 pm

From what I heard, LBCC wasn't big enough for AX or something. I could be wrong though.

As for LACC, I understand everyone's concerns but at the same time, if you still want to go, you could always try to be street smart about it. For example, don't do something stupid to attract the attention of some shady person. Also be aware of your surroundings at all times, which is something you should do wherever you are anyway. Or if you live close enough or in LA, just go in the daytime and go home in the evening (which is what I'm doing).

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:22 pm

evanae wrote:don't do something stupid to attract the attention of some shady person.
This is my concern for *ahem* certain anime fans that I know have a bit of a problem controlling their enthusiasm. I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

MegumiHime

Post by MegumiHime » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:35 pm

I've first had shady thoughts about this when I heard that AX moved. It's my first AX and I want it to be a good experience. Though, I've been in some rough places my self at other conventions and even the neighborhood that I live in for the past year is a bit etchy. I know the safety rules in general. Never go out by your self, stay with at least a buddy or a group and what not. But if the AX staff really didn't care about our safety, why would they be holding it there? I'm sure that they do care and it's a big concern. I'm pretty positive safety is their number one issue.

evanae

Post by evanae » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:25 pm

Andichan wrote:
evanae wrote:don't do something stupid to attract the attention of some shady person.
This is my concern for *ahem* certain anime fans that I know have a bit of a problem controlling their enthusiasm. I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)
Yeaah...I know what you mean. :| Well, here's to hoping that maybe they'll know better after this con and mature a bit.
MegumiHime wrote:Never go out by your self, stay with at least a buddy or a group and what not.
Yesss, buddy system. Forgot to mention that. :3

my2wings

Re: Anime Expo Safety?

Post by my2wings » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm

LACC isnt "high risk" it really has become a better place in the past cupple of years, i live in LA and i go to downtown LA alot (for fabric and stuff) and its not bad at all!! And the thing is around LACC is ALOT of high end hotels! I know alot of people that work down in LA and at LACC. LACC isnt a bad place, in fact i went to AX08 at LACC and it was so much fun! i loved it!! it was very well done. In fact i know the worst thing that happened was they had to call an ambulence becuse a very BIG guy passed out on small girl, and he broke her leg (i know the LACC E.M.T, and security).

but i agree, the buddy system is always a good thing

KageKitsune

Re: Anime Expo Safety?

Post by KageKitsune » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:14 pm

downtown LA is ctully a very safe place, trust me i'v been going to la for a long time, since i was born and it's really safe it's my second home, yeas there are some places you have to avoid but they arn't close enough to LACC to make a diffrence, btw like wing said all the high end wx[ensiver hotels, bussnes and the trade center are just a quick drive a way trust me it's noting to worry about