How should I deal with the hate?

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...
Miss Valentine

How should I deal with the hate?

Post by Miss Valentine » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else has ever had this problem, but I've been having a hard time with cosplay hate at my school. Like alot of kids say I'm wierd because I cosplay and now nobody will talk to me. I'm not obnoxious about it. It's not like I make references to anime all the time, actually I never do talk about cosplay or anime unless the subject comes up. And I don't look much different from most girls at school. In fact, people always tell me how much they like my outfits, even teachers. :(
I've tried to tell people that it's just a hobby that I enjoy and in return, I'm called a loser.
I'm almost starting to wish that I'd never listed it as a hobby when asked.
What should I do? :(

a38463846Q

Re: How should I deal with the hate?

Post by a38463846Q » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:07 am

well to be totaly honest thats how alot of normal people feel about cosplay especialy in high school, thats just how they are because they do not understand nor fully appreciate it.I just recently graduated so im out of the high school picture, however i still cosplayed even at school from atleast 6th grade to 12th. but even though that was my hobby i also was part of sports like track and field and part of the dance team making co captain, the people around me didnt too much care for anime however i guess because of me it was acceptable when i cosplayed at school. I even made the lucky star dance and the hare hare yukai from the meloncholy of haruhi suzumiya part of our dance routine and everyone seem to liek it. So i guess the only thing you can do to stop the cosplay hate is to just make it part of you. Everyone has to realise that not alot of people liek cosplay thats why they often resort to calling it wierd or strange or stupid but i have yet to meet the people who will tell that atleast to my face. so i would just ignore those people and just keep cosplaying :D

a38463846Q

Post by a38463846Q » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:14 am

One other thing to do is to mention how it is now part of a respected japanese culture because cosplay is made to show the Appreciation of anime art. You can also say how cosplaying is just like drama or acting except with costumes too. there are some things that cosplay is made a part of. And i forgot to mention that alot of people in high school can be stupid and can down your hobbie as being "lame" which really it isnt and it takes alot of work and effort doing it, you cant change that.

dressdragn

Post by dressdragn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:53 am

Ms. Valentine,

First of all, I’d like to say you are very brave for being able to stand up and be honest about your self. One of the most difficult things as a young lady in a closed environment is to be comfortable with who she is.

Many of the girls around you aren’t as comfortable with them selves yet as you are. That’s why adults are supportive of your creations while people in your peer group are threatened by your individuality. By banning together to make you a pariah they feel validated in their sameness.

If you chose to argue the validity of cosplay with them, it may help to bring some support for your argument. A number of cosplayers have appeared on MTV, Time Out New York has run several articles on cosplayers and cosplay events, the New York Times did a set of interviews with gothic lolitas that you can listen to on their web site.

However you may also chose to go along to get along and keep your cosplay on the low for a few years, sharing it only with the people you know will appreciate it.

What ever you chose, know that the community is here for you and that it will get better. The girls will eventually grow up and ease off; you’ll graduate and be able to live more freely. I know it might feel like a long time away, but until then there is the internet, anime conventions and us.

~Anna

jj1027

Post by jj1027 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:16 am

Hey I personally have quite a few friends in school who are very in to anime and cosplay, including the guy who got me into it. I do recieve some hate, and thats probably my fault for always talking about it, but hey I just ignore them. they have they're opinions, I have mine, niether one is gonna convince the other, so just let it die and ignore the hate.

akaneirie

Post by akaneirie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:00 pm

That's just who you are. if they can accept you cosplay, be friends with them. If they can accept you other sides ignore cosplay, be friends with them. If they don't accept you no matter what. Why bother? make yourself happy. That's what is important.
Check out www.Sword Art Online.com
Incredible Group Discount is offering:
Buy 3 get $50 off in total.
Buy 5 get $100 off in total.
This offer expires on 7/15/2009, Cosplay Costume Store only.

Synaizen

Post by Synaizen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Ignore them. You can assume if you cosplayed as Master Chief, or someone from a mainstream game/movie etc., there would be little to no hate. Most people just don't understand anime/manga as much as they do understand popular/mainstream games and movies.

hiei/is/2/hot

Post by hiei/is/2/hot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 pm

If they hate you for that there not worth you time, there just wasts of space.
ImageA Hero, is not afraid to give his life for what is right...

IzunaDrop247

Post by IzunaDrop247 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:00 am

Hey, don't worry about it. Most of the hate is FAKE. They only say you're weird because they're in that phase where they wanna fit in with the popular crowd. It's a defensive way of thinking. They feel that if people know that they appreciate cosplay, then they'll be labeled weird too. In reality, they think its cool and don't want to admit it. Once they grow up, they will show appreciation openly. Once they hit college or start working in the real world, they change a lot. I work and tell my co-workers about my cosplay hobby, i even show them pictures, and they are very impressed and think it's really cool... Well, I work at an art museum, so it's understandable. :lol: