is it okay to cosplay a non anime charicter at an anime con?

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...

Is it okay to cosplay a non anime charicter at an anime convention?

yes, what ever they like!
88%
no, it an ANIME CON! go to a scifi or american con for that!
No votes
i don't have a strong feeling one way or another.
12%

Total votes: 25

blue_eyed_fairy

is it okay to cosplay a non anime charicter at an anime con?

Post by blue_eyed_fairy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:36 pm

i asked in the anime boston panel, and one person said no. but at every con i have been to there have been lots of star wars, batman, spiderman, x men, teen titans, etc. cosplayers around.
and that also brings up video games, because tecnically they are not anime. - but i like the video game cosplayers.
i don't have a strong side i favor one way or the other, i'm pretty much and equal opertunity cosplayer.
but just wondering what others thought?
"Your eyes may be the window to your soul,
but your zipper is the window to you underwear....."

I staff AAC!
play with me at anotheranime con.com

waynekaa
ACP Owner

Post by waynekaa » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:23 pm

I think it only matters if you try to compete, in which you should check the masquerade rules. Some masquerades are very particular about the type of costume that can enter to try and make things fair.
Wayne of AGSMA
PSOC
AGSMA
ACParadise

missus_mara

Post by missus_mara » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:08 pm

I think it's fine, but you have to take in consideration that people didn't go to that con to see un-anime related things. It's an anime con, it revolves around anime. So if only a few people acknowledge you, I don't think that should surprise you. You should go becuase you want to dress up like the character. Being fawned over should not be your first priority.

Pandora Yaz

Post by Pandora Yaz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 pm

i DON'T THiNK iT REALLY MATTERS...THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO COSPLAY FROM ViDEO GAMES OR FROM AMERiCAN COMiCS OR FROM MOViES, TOO.

Sophari

Post by Sophari » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:13 am

I don't think it matters too much..

I mean look at the number of FF(instert # here) cosplayers! Then again, the whole FF series does have anime-esque art design. I guess in the end it depends on what you want to cosplay. To me at least, it seems like most game characters fit in just fine at anime conventions, and if anything, people tend to like seeing them more then the anime cosplayers. (I would know from personal experience on that one, I got more attention cosplaying Rikku [FFX], Tiffa [advent children], and Talem [Soul Calibur 2] then I ever got cosplaying Misa-Chan [Death Note], Chii [Chobits], Lady Une [Moble Suite Gundam Wing], or Yaya/Nana [Othello].) I don't know so much about the Star Wars/Star Treck cosplayers.. I've seen them at the cons and it just doesn't quite fit. Don't get me wrong, I always go up and tell them that it's nice to see some diversity in the types of costumes, and I mean it when I say it, but they really don't fit well with the general feeling of the con.

Personally, though, I think every person has the right to cosplay whatever they want. The "anime purists" that only go to conventions to see anime cosplayers have the freedom to just not look at it. I don't see why other people should have to limit themselves on what they can dress as because other people might not have come to the con with an open mind.

^^;

a38463846Q

Re: is it okay to cosplay a non anime charicter at an anime con?

Post by a38463846Q » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:01 am

hmmm well that depends if it is an anime like game like ( tales of vesperia or symphonia) or guilty gear or any other fighting anime like game or rpg, than alot of the "real" otaku who just like anime alone would have no problem with you cosplaying as one of the people from there. i as an indivisual have no problem as anyone cosplayaing as anything wither its from star trek to kodocha. but no cosplay as who ever you want you shouldnt care of what people think, you should only care if they want to have a pic of you nya ^_^

Miss Valentine

Post by Miss Valentine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:29 pm

I think resident evil is appropriate, it's CAPCOME for corn's sake!

jj1027

Post by jj1027 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:10 am

In my personal opinion, you can cosplay who or what you want. I have seen Final fantasy cosplayers, Ive seen a giant pac man cosplayer, heck I've even seen someone cosplay as jesus. it just makes the con more interesting. Its all in good fun, and thats what going to a con is about. so if your gonna sit there and complain about it then don't go to the convention!

akaneirie

Post by akaneirie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:03 pm

to my knowledge, most con can,they have the non-anime catagory. still better to ask.
Check out www.Sword Art Online.com
Incredible Group Discount is offering:
Buy 3 get $50 off in total.
Buy 5 get $100 off in total.
This offer expires on 7/15/2009, Cosplay Costume Store only.

Synaizen

Post by Synaizen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:23 pm

I also went to AB this year, and some of the funniest weren't even anime-related. In terms of Masquerade and judging, I would think that may or may not be a different matter, depending on the con you're going to/that con's rules. @ AB, there were two guys doing very good cosplays of Dr. House; someone threw an actual vikoden bottle in between them, they began to fight. :lol: