do asians generally look better in cosplay? what do youthink

You wanted it, you got it! General posts and chatting can go here, but keep it friendly...

do asians (chinese,japanese, korean) generally look better in cosplay?

yes
17%
no
40%
yes in general, but some caucasians can pull off amazing cosplay as well
43%

Total votes: 30

sakurasilver

do asians generally look better in cosplay? what do youthink

Post by sakurasilver » Mon May 16, 2005 11:30 am

i just wanted to know if i'm very weird..

i think asians generally look better in cosplay... of course caucasians (white) can pull off amazing costumes and look absolutely fabulous.. but of all the anime cosplay pictures i've seen... asians (chinese, japanese etc) looks better

i'm not trying to be racist... i just wanna know people's opinions..

Silver

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon May 16, 2005 1:26 pm

Depends on who they're playing for the most part, but Most anime is based off Caucasion. So anyone who looks like that person could pull it off. Also the Orientals are extreme perfect6ionists, so they try there best to pull of the absolute best.

Fialchar

Post by Fialchar » Mon May 16, 2005 10:25 pm

Asians look better peiod.

Lol, j/k ^^

Any race can pull off some incredible looking cosplays, it's all about the level of devotion and dedication. But Cosplay's been around longer in Japan than it has in the States, so I think Asians are deeper into the cosplay scene than people in the States.

Become the wind, the divine wind, and into the darkness disappear..

~†t+-來~§ђǻŁǻ₣ï~來-+t†~

jynxthehero201

Post by jynxthehero201 » Fri May 20, 2005 12:49 pm

Asians are cool cosplay dresses people. They look awesome!
HEY! I love Fruits Basket and Inuyasha cosplay

hiei/is/2/hot

Post by hiei/is/2/hot » Fri May 20, 2005 1:10 pm

Asians don't do Hiei that good, so no...j/k
I like caucasians,...but thats just me... :)
ImageA Hero, is not afraid to give his life for what is right...

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Fri May 20, 2005 3:04 pm

It's funny that Fialchar mentions that cosplay could be bigger in Japan because it's been there longer. But actually, cosplay is a shameful act pretty much over in Japan. Most Japanese that actually do it never give out their real names and when linked to their sites, most take the pages down because they don't want anyone to know about them cosplaying.

But I naturally think that cosplay can look good no matter which race....just Japanese have a tendency to make it look awesome.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

a38463846Q

Re: do asians generally look better in cosplay? what do youthink

Post by a38463846Q » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 am

well anyone can cosplay, i really dont think you have to be a certain race too look better when it comes to cosplay. it really all depends on how your facial features are.

neoangelwink

Post by neoangelwink » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 am

i think both look great^_^. but does help have face with very smooth chickes and when your very photogenic it helps lot.

think does not really matter if you are none Asian or Asian for csoplay.

what a good cosplayer.
1.getting in character for pics
2.good cosplay outfit fits will,not falling off and neat and clean.
3.knowing to pose
4. good wig
5. taking care heath and staying fit
6. good makeup
7.knowing how work your face if you not photogenic.
8. having fun

it true some character look more asian other don't but should not stop them cosplaying it

Reaper(13)AKA-Alex

Post by Reaper(13)AKA-Alex » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Well... it would all depend on the cosplay and the person wearing it. Exapmle, if you do not look like Goku from DBZ or do not look like Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo! ...you are going to clash with the cosplay costume. This works just the other way around, and races do not count. And for a last note... one of the best looking cosplays that I've seen was Dilandau from Escaflowne the t.v. version... and she lived in a country in South America which now I forget the name of... but the point is she was neither American or Japanese so that kinda proves my point.

akaneirie

Post by akaneirie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Definitely based on characters.

However, I did see a white guy play an asian character, which is the best cosplayer I've ever seen, MOE!
Check out www.Sword Art Online.com
Incredible Group Discount is offering:
Buy 3 get $50 off in total.
Buy 5 get $100 off in total.
This offer expires on 7/15/2009, Cosplay Costume Store only.

Synaizen

Post by Synaizen » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:27 pm

akaneirie wrote:Definitely based on characters.

However, I did see a white guy play an asian character, which is the best cosplayer I've ever seen, MOE!
QFT. For instance, if a character is Black or latino, a darker skinned person would probably have the advantage. Most characters are based off of caucasians, though, so they tend to pull them off well (not to say Asians and others couldn't, though.).

FoxyKitsune

Post by FoxyKitsune » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I think that comparing asian cosplayers to any other race is like comparing apples and oranges. Especially in the case of comparing Americans to cosplayers from East Asian countries. Let me explain...
In Asia, in contrast to the United States, cosplay is considered a serious hobby, even a career. You don't see cosplaying just for the sake of fandom, many of the asian cosplayers you see online are often from talent agencies, paid for the sole purpose to cosplay at events to promote new video games, anime etc. Many of these cosplayers don't make their own costumes, but opt to have them commissioned, thus raising the quality of the costume significantly. Comparatively, Americans (as well as cosplayers from other nations), treat cosplay more or less as a hobby, making their own costumes rather than having them commissioned. This doesn't however, lower the showmanship of American cosplay; there are countless Americans who have created breathtaking costumes, as well as Asian cosplayers.
So...you really can't compare the two. I think that for as many amazing asian cosplayers as there are, there are many amazing cosplayers from other nationalities as well. I have seen incredible cosplay from Japan, China, America, France, The United Kingdom, Brazil, Russia, and so on. Good cosplay doesn't stem from race, but picking a costume that suits your body type, impressive craftsmanship, attention to detail, and good photography.
After all, we're all just nerds in costumes when it comes down to it, right? :D
Some mistakes are too much fun to be made only once.

yurei

Post by yurei » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Actually, I think it depends simply on the person - not exactly their ethnicity!! I've seen some really bad cosplay by both Caucasians and Asians. There's bad for everyone, but usually when people show Asians cosplaying, they'll post photos of professional Asian cosplayers who *of course* look amazing. In America, they're are little to no professional cosplayers. In Asia, it's taken more seriously and they go to greater lengths to resemble the character. I don't think it's a fair comparison to show a famous cosplayer like Kipi or Arisa Mizuhara in comparison to an average cosplayer. :| It's not an equal comparison. (.0.)
I'm a creepy creepy girl!! zz! zz! (O.O) I love ghost-like things!! I play Fatal Frame all the time! nyehehehe! (.0.) are we friends?