New to making cosplay/Looking for advice

If you want to cosplay, but don't know how or where to start, we'll try to help you out!
xGninjax

New to making cosplay/Looking for advice

Post by xGninjax » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:31 pm

My friend and I are looking at doing a Persona 4 cosplay duo. He is going to be Kanji while I will be his persona, Take-Mikazuchi. Any advice on how to go about making this costume would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first time making a costume. Image

Neophyte_Mind

Re: New to making cosplay/Looking for advice

Post by Neophyte_Mind » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Wow that's quite the character for someone new to cosplay!
I'd say for advice on cosplaying just remember that shit like this is going to take longer than you'll think, especially for a character with all that armor. Also before even starting a cosplay read through all costume and prop rules if you are attending a con because there's nothing worse than pouring your heart into a cosplay than not being able to wear it.
For a cosplay that extravagant you'll definitely need a lot of material and it's best to buy more than enough than not enough especially when it comes to fabrics, plus than over time you will have a collection of materials that you can use for future cosplays. Take-Mikazuchi has an armor like suit so I would research ways on creating cosplay armor, there is a thread on this site for armor. Your going want to make sure this cosplay isn't too heavy or hot, and fairly easy to put on and take off. It would be quite the challenge for anyone to make this so make sure you give yourself a few months, don't rush or you'll regret it later. The lightning bolt prop seems fairly easy and the material you choose doesn't have to be anything fancy; I made Suzuya Juuzou's scythe out of dollar store cardstock and it actually turned out really good and it's super light and easy to carry despite the fact that it's seven feet tall.
Overall though the main thing you have to remember when making a cosplay is that anything can be anything. Some of the most profession looking cosplays are up-cycled. Look through your recycling go to second hand stores, check every clearance isle of every store. Cosplaying isn't cheap so get creative! Be sure to look at other people's cosplays of the character to get a feel of how the cosplay looks on a human and not just an animated character.
Good luck and best wishes!
If you have any follow up questions I'd love to try and help!