Kingdom Hearts II (Red Haired Unknown Weapons)

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
DarkAxel

Kingdom Hearts II (Red Haired Unknown Weapons)

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:01 pm

This is my first shot at a character with weapons and am having a hard time figuring out how to begin it. My drawing skills are very poor so i can not draw it onto anything so does anyone have any idea's on how to start this. I would appreciate any help
Here is the image itslelf

http://www31.brinkster.com/lanejoeyay/p ... HII-19.jpg

glass snow

Post by glass snow » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:54 pm

umm...you need a new link...that one is showing up " forbidden file!"
Choice of faith should not be somthing that seperates us, but somthing that ties us..love is the ultimate key.

tddm.org - nice daily words
homestarrunner.com <------ GO THERE ITS SOOO HALARIOUSE!

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:24 pm

Ok here is another link sorry about the first one

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/550/5503 ... 22341.html

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:40 pm

Hmmm, if you can't draw this yourself, then you should really ask someone else to draw it for you. Even with my experience with props, I wouldn't start this one without thoroughly drawing it onto something and working out the finer details.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:15 pm

Hmmm, I'd need a couple more shots of the character to be sure of the colors, but I can give a few pointers about construction.

First off, these things are going to be beaten up, don't try to use foamboard, it'll get destroyed. Rubber coated stryfoam might be an option, but I wouldn't count on it lasting an entire con.

For these I'd either do them in tube steel or I'd break out the PVC pipe. Although foam with bondo and metal reinforcement (using PVC straight pieces for the handle) would work almost as well and be cheaper. The blades would have to be plastic if you want them to both pass a weapons check and last longer then an hour.

The design seems simple, a large circle with a bisecting circle every 90 degrees, with a blade every 45 degrees. The handle is a cross with ends terminating at the low point in the secondary circles.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:41 pm

For PVC pipe is it possibile to get that in a circlulat foarm and then would i drill out holes for the four insecting cirlcers, or is it possibile to find something that is already circular in the pvc type deal?

Dark_Tiger

Post by Dark_Tiger » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:10 pm

DarkAxel wrote:For PVC pipe is it possibile to get that in a circlulat foarm and then would i drill out holes for the four insecting cirlcers, or is it possibile to find something that is already circular in the pvc type deal?
Yah, um, PVC is the high tech option. You can't get it circular, at least that I know of, so if I was using it (and the more I think about it, the more I'd probably go with the bondo option) here's how I'd do it:

You need:

Metal "valley" roof sheeting. It comes in 10 foot rolls at Home Depot for about $10 -$15. I've found the hard way that it's good for 2 things in cosplay, covering an existing structure or frame, or making jigs and molds.

Heat gun. Not your hair dryer, a real heavy duty heat gun. A propane torch might work if you're careful.

WD-40, or your favorite lubricant. No, not that kind of lubricant, you hentai.

A Dremel. Actually, you need a Dremel whether you're doing this or not, go get one.

Heavy leather work gloves. These will hopefully keep you from needing #6...

A nearby burn unit.

and some 1X2" lumber.

okay, step one is to make a circular metal pipe that is firmly braced with lumber. Heat the pvc CAREFULLY and mold it around the frame. Don't push too hard, or you'll flatten the pipe. The smaller circles should be done in half circles. Drill holes of the correct size in the big circle and connect the half circles inside the big one.

This will give you your circles. To be honest however, even t hough this'll give you something that will last until the trump of doom, it's probably not worth the time or money over a bondo model.
Real men sew!

Tigerye Productions: Props, weapons, and much more. I can do that!
"Ebay is the best bet as they are unfeeling there and cold. " - Hemuloki