need help with wings *sniff* noobie

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
the_samurai_freak

need help with wings *sniff* noobie

Post by the_samurai_freak » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:47 pm

okies so here the deal, i'm going as ebil Tsuzuki from Yami no Matsuei and he has black wings. I have a poo load of feathers but thats it . i need serious construction help, ex: uh base ideas and how to get the feathers on it ...okies thanks...
"the less eye you have the more demented you are"....don't ask...

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:47 am

I've seen a guy wear a set of hand feathered wings 10' in Diameter. these looked like they were plucked from a bird too.

He told me he used metal conduit and wires for the frame. then he used a thin material (Old curtans he said) and filled it in. After that way laid out he studied pictures of wings, and places the feathers in, one by one. He used hot glue gun and a griddle to keep the glue hot while he delicately placed them in. I suppose plastic cement could work. If you want to really impress the crowd. take one of those hand grabbers... those thingys to help build hand muscles, I don't know what they're called and place them at the main joint. use alot of fish line, or cable to pull them closed, then SPRING open.

Shuga

Post by Shuga » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:15 pm

that is a wonderful idea~ I have about decided to go to A-Kon next year as a Goth angel, and this has been helpful!

^_^

love and laughter,

gin

Laura92

Post by Laura92 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:45 am

OK: What I would do is make a simple wing frame with some wire (you can get it at a fabric store, just ask for wire you would put at the bottom of a dress) and then cover it with a fabric similar to the color of the feathers. I'd reccomend a duck cloth or canvas so it has a little bit of strength to hold the feathers, not just some flimsy single layer of cotton. Glue on the feathers reasonably close together, but since the fabric underneath is the same color, if you miss a spot, its ok. Then, to attach it to yourself, either sew on some elastic "straps" to put over your arms or just get some adhesive velcro and stick it on the wings' frame and the other half on the back of your costume. Personally, I'd go with the elastic. Its stronger.

Hope that helps!
See me at: Kamecon '04 (Feb28, NH) ~ Anime Boston '04 (Apr9-11, MA) ~ PortconMaine '04 (June 17 only, ME) ~ Connecticon '04 (July 18, CT.) ~ Arisia '05 (Jan 16?, MA) ~ Kamecon '05 (Feb, NH) ~ AnimeBoston '05 (May 11-13, MA) ~ PortconMaine '05 (June24-27, ME) ~ Connecticon '05 (July, CT)

|c|o|s|p|L|a|y| is my anti-drug!