Can sumone help me?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Panda Pooh

Can sumone help me?

Post by Panda Pooh » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:52 am

Ello! I was wonderin' if anyone could give me any ideas on what materials should be used for Tifa Lockhart on Advent Children.

I just wanted to make sure before I go on and start messin' things up. >.<
Soo, can anyone kinda help me out a bit? Thankiez!

~Panda Pooh

Aigis

Post by Aigis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:25 pm

It really depends on your budget. I'd go with a shiny pleather vinyl you can get at Joann's fabrics. It usually costs anywhere from 5.99 to 9.99 per yard though but in most Joann's they sell it on the larger rolls of fabric. You can also try this site:

http://www.stretchhouse.com

for awesome shiny-ish materials. I've bought from them before, you have to call in your order, but they send it SUPER FAST. I got my stuff the day after I ordered it...well I do live in the same state. >_< But still!

As for shoes, black converse probably or you can make cool shoe covers.

Also depending on your sewing machine, you may or may not be able to sew vinyl. =/ So keep that in mind.

Aigis

Post by Aigis » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I forgot to mention, there are fabrics that are polyester or polyester/nylon mixes that have that shiny look but aren't vinyl. Just have to look around. =) Hope this helps!

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 pm

I would recoment a Matte Pleather. If you have seen FFAC it's not really shiny like Vynil, the movment looks like Pleather/leather. If you are going cloth look for sateen ( it has some strech to it, but a pleather would be top choice.)
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Patches

Post by Patches » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 am

Tifa's costume may look like shiny material in the action figure/maquette, but it certainly doesn't look shiny in the movie.

I like the suggestion of Misstress Testament's of a thinner matte pleather.

ANYTHING but SHINY

Sooo many people make it shiny and it's just...inaccurate. Keep in mind over most things, her costume has a ton of seams and lines. You need to work with a fabric that can lay flat after it has a seam put into it.

Def look into that matte pleather. Like 7, 14 or 15 on this page.

So many nice lines in that outfit to get lost in ZOMGSHINY pvc vinyl. :)

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 am

Agreeing with the non-shiny material. Leather-ish slight shine, ok; slick Las Vegas super shine, NO.

And please don't use Converse shoes. They're too thin and the wrong texture compared to Tifa's shoes/boots so they just look silly with the rest of the costume. Like, "Here's my super tuff outfit and... my dinky little canvas sneakers." Make thicker shoe covers of the same fabric as the costume, or decorate boots that are more filled-out than canvas, flat-soled Chuck Taylors.

Panda Pooh

Post by Panda Pooh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 am

Wow...thankiez! And you guyz are rite! So many ppl mess up by makin' her outfit shiny. I had got really confused bcuz I have seen so many ppl wearin' her outfit shiny and then some not.

Is that the type of wrong material? Sorry if I sound lost but thatz bcuz I never used any type of material like Pleather/leather before...>.<'

As for her hair, my hair isn't long enough and every beauty supply store has her hair...BUT IN A DIFFERENT COLOR! xD DOes anyone know where I can get her hair from or how may I die the wig? o.O Thank all of you SO muchiez! ^-^

Patches

Post by Patches » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 am

I'd just buy a wig on that color. Easier than dying since they're all over the 'net.

That fabric looks like it could work. (still too shiny for ME though, but it could work better than uber-shiny stuff) But you'll be hard-pressed to find it at your average fabric store. The closest they have is the cheap, think PVC costume vinyl so many people ruin Tifa with.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:10 am

Panda Pooh wrote:As for her hair, my hair isn't long enough and every beauty supply store has her hair...BUT IN A DIFFERENT COLOR! xD DOes anyone know where I can get her hair from or how may I die the wig? o.O Thank all of you SO muchiez! ^-^
If you mean that you just wanted to lengthen your own hair and the beauty supply has hair extensions that are made of real hair, you can color them with regular hair dye.

Otherwise, synthetic hair and wigs are harder to dye so you'd be better off buying a wig in the right color as Patches said.

Panda Pooh

Post by Panda Pooh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 am

Really? I heard that you could dye a wig by using a sharpie. Is that true cuz I was SO going to use that idea! lolz! xDDD