Protoman cosplay... I need some help. x_x

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Magus_Reploid

Protoman cosplay... I need some help. x_x

Post by Magus_Reploid » Mon May 19, 2008 7:18 pm

I've only seen rather... embarrassingly low quality Protoman cosplays done so I don't really have anything to go by, but I want it to look as realistic as possible. Here's a reference pic:

Ideally, I'd like to use metal (obviously...), but realistically I just need something that I can make that will accomplish close to the same thing. These are some ideas I've got already:

Helmet: buy a motorcycle helmet and augment it a little
Suit underclothes: get gray tighter fitting sweat shirt and pants of the same material
Scarf: I can just buy the fabric and cut one myself...

It's the rest that I'm lost on... ugh. For the Shield I guess I could buy sheet metal and cut it? I dunno really. If possible, although I doubt this could happen without a large chunk of cash, I'd like it if I could say slide the armpieces down slighty to cover my hand, then have a mini-Nerf gun or something of the like inside, so I could make it shoot, too. ^-^

So, as one can see, I'm rather... lost. Any pointers?

beautifuldreamer1289
Location: 0.o why do YOU want to know? stay away from me you stalker! *runs and hides*

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 pm

dont use metal. its really heavy and often banned at cons. use other materials, such as wondeflex, fiberglass (use safety precautions!!!) or any other prop-making tips you can find on the forums here.
i would put something deep and meaningful here...

but im too lazy.

that and i dont really have anything deep or meaningful to say

Magus_Reploid

Post by Magus_Reploid » Mon May 19, 2008 7:28 pm

beautifuldreamer1289 wrote:dont use metal. its really heavy and often banned at cons. use other materials, such as wondeflex, fiberglass (use safety precautions!!!) or any other prop-making tips you can find on the forums here.
Hmm... I didn't know of this wonderflex substance until now but it seems like a solid idea considering I can mold it to the exact shape I need! I've looked at a few sites already and it looks kind of expensive. I'll have to measure everything first and see what I need. :D

beautifuldreamer1289
Location: 0.o why do YOU want to know? stay away from me you stalker! *runs and hides*

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm

as with any type of shape-able substance, you gotta be kinda crafty to use it, but its re-heatable and re-shape-able, so if you mess up, you just blast it with a bit of heat and try again. do not however, pull at it or try to stretch it while it is hot, as this weakens it and makes it so it wont be rigid when cool anymore... -_-' <---learned this from experience....

but im too lazy.

Magus_Reploid

Post by Magus_Reploid » Mon May 19, 2008 7:33 pm

beautifuldreamer1289 wrote:as with any type of shape-able substance, you gotta be kinda crafty to use it, but its re-heatable and re-shape-able, so if you mess up, you just blast it with a bit of heat and try again. do not however, pull at it or try to stretch it while it is hot, as this weakens it and makes it so it wont be rigid when cool anymore... -_-' <---learned this from experience....
onoez! Thanks for the tip as I'd probably cause havoc after learning this myself.

So, theoretically, I should be able to use this "Wonderflex" substance to make the armpieces, legpieces, and the shield. Although... that seems like a lot of money. ;_;

beautifuldreamer1289

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:37 pm

yeah, but i mainly reccomend it for the arm piece. the rest, especially the shield, can be done with other methods as well. I also recommend taking a look at the first link in the armor making questions thread (in the very second post). amethyst angel is brilliant as a prop-maker.

but im too lazy.

lilkillerduck

Post by lilkillerduck » Mon May 19, 2008 8:23 pm

I think sweat clothes would be too baggy.. unless that's what you want, why not go with good ol spandex?

And what about aluminum? I'm not so experienced with any of this, but I figure it isn't too heavy...
Who wants to dye my hair purple?

Magus_Reploid

Post by Magus_Reploid » Mon May 19, 2008 8:36 pm

lilkillerduck wrote:I think sweat clothes would be too baggy.. unless that's what you want, why not go with good ol spandex?

And what about aluminum? I'm not so experienced with any of this, but I figure it isn't too heavy...
Actually spandex wound probably work. I've got the figure for it, so no biggy.

And using aluminum? Aluminum foil wouldn't be durable enough and would look cheaper since I'm aiming for as much realism as I can. Real aluminum... well, just using it one the shield. I think my arms would get tired very fast holding a 3ft shield all day.

I'm thinking Wonderflex for the armpieces and foamcore for the shield. :D

Now if only I could come up with something for the legs... Hmm...

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue May 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Yea a unitard would work onders, and a light weight cotton for the scarf, it will wick away the sweat and ripple nicely in the breeze.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Cobheran

Post by Cobheran » Wed May 21, 2008 8:34 am

I definitely recommend a unitard, preferably a full body except for the head, your biggest challenge will probably finding one in grey. For the arm you could use a variety of methods, but I think that the easiest, most effective way would be to use a fiberglass shell. Here's how you'd make one:

Step 1: make a skeleton in the shape you want. Here's the shape I made for my Metalman arms. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/C ... 1211387374

Step 2: Wrap the skeleton in duct tape and make sure it's mostly smooth.

Step 3: Wrap the skeleton with duct tape in a layer of fiberglass matt (not cloth, you want to lose detail and gain shape) and apply the resin.

Step 4: Sand down to desired smoothness and fill divots and holes in with bondo.

Step 5: apply a final coat of resin to smooth out the piece and use a high grit sandpaper to smooth it, then polish.

If you aren't comfortable or familiar with how to use fiberglass, there are plenty of Youtube tutorials,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU27gc0M ... opic=10821 This one from the 405th armor division is one of the best :D

Hope this helps some!

Magus_Reploid

Post by Magus_Reploid » Wed May 21, 2008 9:10 am

Cobheran wrote:I definitely recommend a unitard, preferably a full body except for the head, your biggest challenge will probably finding one in grey. For the arm you could use a variety of methods, but I think that the easiest, most effective way would be to use a fiberglass shell. Here's how you'd make one:

Step 1: make a skeleton in the shape you want. Here's the shape I made for my Metalman arms. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/C ... 1211387374

Step 2: Wrap the skeleton in duct tape and make sure it's mostly smooth.

Step 3: Wrap the skeleton with duct tape in a layer of fiberglass matt (not cloth, you want to lose detail and gain shape) and apply the resin.

Step 4: Sand down to desired smoothness and fill divots and holes in with bondo.

Step 5: apply a final coat of resin to smooth out the piece and use a high grit sandpaper to smooth it, then polish.

If you aren't comfortable or familiar with how to use fiberglass, there are plenty of Youtube tutorials,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU27gc0M ... opic=10821 This one from the 405th armor division is one of the best :D

Hope this helps some!
Thanks for the tips! I've never worked with fiberglass at all, but the more I think about it, it seems like this would be A) cheaper B) less time consuming and C) overall less difficult to make using these methods.

I was just going to use Wonderflex, but considering I'm almost making enlarged bubbles on my arms, I don't think I could shrink it enough at the ends (wrist & elbow) and look rather bunched up in those areas. Plus, I could also use these methods on the legpieces.

And I looked up your Metalman cosplay. Kick ass job! :D

Jasdero

Post by Jasdero » Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm

not aluminum foil...aluminum sheet metal..it is light weight and easy to work with....i think that would do the trick with the shield

I think you NEED to wear a body suit and just add in the red strip....

I think the helmet idea is good...but motorcycle helmets can get pricey so be careful...or do what he did....
http://www.cosspace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072
and alter a cheap helmet.....
that also might give you some ideas for the rest..
Check out my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/comcos
Gaijin USA FEED THE ADDICTION!
For your anime needs!
http://www.gaijinusa.com

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Tue May 27, 2008 6:45 am

Make sure you grind, smooth or otherwise coat the edges or any metal you cut because it will be sharp and nasty.
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.