Which Fabric to use

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
eboni ninja

Which Fabric to use

Post by eboni ninja » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:41 pm

Hey everyone,
I just got a sewing machine for christmas and i'm ready to make my first cosplay outfit. However i don't know what kind of fabric to buy from Joann's. I want to cosplay as Rabi en Rose from Di Gi Charat and Seras Victoria from Hellsing. If anyone can help me I would be so grateful I want my first outfits to be almost perfect.
Thanks

Jasdero

Post by Jasdero » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:58 pm

for police girl get a good heavy cotton. but me sure to line it. which are you doing the red, yellow, or blue?
i dont know the others. post pics.
Check out my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/comcos
Gaijin USA FEED THE ADDICTION!
For your anime needs!
http://www.gaijinusa.com

Misstress Testament

Post by Misstress Testament » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:16 am

A god cotton is always the best to start with. I began with thick Pleather and Dear God I wanted to kill somehing. (it came out well in the end but man!)
Taking Commissions .I specialize in kimonos, Bleach, and I am expanding my repetoire. I have done Trench Coats. I make quaility pieces that can be used everyday :) Please leave me a messages we can talk about what you need. SanguineSpinner.etsy.com for the quick and easy kimono purchase. www.racheldesade.deviantart.com to see some of my work.

Katasha

Post by Katasha » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I am making a Rabi costume right now and I think the fabric is called Casa Satin at Joanns. I have only been to one once though. Its a great high quality fabric but its not shinny.

A Cotton Twill or suiting fabric would be good for Seras. And use Broadcloth for lining. Its much easier to use then "lining fabric" and cheaper too!

eboni ninja

Post by eboni ninja » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Thanks for the great advice i hope that my costumes come out great i'll be sure to post them here when i make them. Look out for me. And i was thinking about making the blue one for seras. I'll keep in touch.

Andichan

Post by Andichan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:55 pm

just DONT buy ANYTHING stretchy! these are called "knit fabrics" and are VERY difficult to work on as a beginner. Heck, I've been sewing for years and still get frustrated!

I would agree w/pretty much everyone else. Cotton is a good beginner fabric. Just be sure to wash whatever you are planning on using first, so you know that if you wash it after the garment is already made, it won't shrink on you or, in some cases, ruin the fabric completely.