"Mercenary" costume help...

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Digital_Transfer

"Mercenary" costume help...

Post by Digital_Transfer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Hey, I posted this on Yahoo Answers in two parts. But didnt get any answers. So, I'm postin it here since I know you guys'll know. I'll post pictures of design sketches later tonight since im almost late for work.

Part 1:
Hey, for Halloween, I'm going to have a gun arm. Essentially it's a PVC pipe fitted over my forearm with external aestetics to make it look like a bazooka/gattling style gun. I want the barrel to spin at the end of it where the 'muzzle' would be. I had the idea that I could take an old flight simulators stick, put it in the base whee my hand is and hook it up to a motor and activate the spin by pressing the trigger. I used an old hobby motor in middle school to spin a model black hole. I need help picking a motor that can handle the load of what I think would be a PVC barrel and explain how to or point me to a site that could instruct me on how to hook up the wiring. Thanks peeps.

Part 2:
Hey, I'm making a robotic soldier costume for halloween and for it I need mettalic looking spinal attachment for my costume (they'll go from the base of my neck to my mid back), I was wondering if I should make it out of molded latex so that it could stick to my back without the weight of say, tin peices. As well, I need help finding a glue that's strong enough to hold the peices-as well as tubes/wires-to my back and arms (specifically my elbows). They're a major component of my costume so I need a glue thats safe but also wont come off if I sweat. Thanks

Here are my ideas and the inspiration for my spinal attachment (click the link to see my Devart page where you can enlarge the image for all my notes):

Thanks everyone
I'm so sorry. I'm on this cold medicine...and-and that hypnotist! I think he put a hex on me!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:14 am

I think if you attach the spinal and elbow things to a skin colored shirt instead of to your own skin, the costume would be easier to put on/take off, and you could attach them solidly to the fabric without worrying about damaging your skin or having the props fall off. Latex would probably be a good, lightweight option as you thought. Everything can be painted to look as though it's stuck right to you.

Someone not too long ago posted an arm gun similar to what you're wanting to make. I'll try to find it so you can ask her directly.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:37 pm