fabric dyeing n00b!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Aurora_Schezar

fabric dyeing n00b!

Post by Aurora_Schezar » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:35 pm

I am making a costume that is predominantly yellow, but the sleeves fade into orange near the bottom. (Like Yuna's white sleeves that fade into pink) Also, there are sections of the costume that fade into orange besides the sleeves. How do I dye it so I can control what dyes (as opposed to tie-dying where the pattern is random.) Also, what kind of dye should I use? Is there a specific fabric that works well with fabric dye? Any advice is appreciated ^^

wow, they sell everything nowadays.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:35 am

Here's a neat trick, Try mixing oragne dye in with water and alot of salt. Try useing this on another fabric peice to test how to get the best effect. let the fabric just touch the surface of the dye. The dye and salt will run up the fabric and cause somewhat of a fadeing effect.

Another way is to paint the dye on. Take one of those pump bottles to use on pesticides and fill it with dye. then lightly spary it at the fadeing, and lay it on thik towards the end.

The only other way I know how to due it is to dillute the dye and dip the fabric all the way to where the fadeing begins. Let it sit, then do it again, but don't go too far in as you did the first dip. This will cause a lined gradual effect. To remove the lines after it's dry, just wash it.

Do not use your costume right away, if the fabric is stubborn, you may not get the same effect you want. just some scrap fabric first.

I like to use Ryte Dye, you can find it in K-Mart, Jo-Ann Fabric, or any store like that.

Aurora_Schezar

Post by Aurora_Schezar » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:57 pm

Thanks so much! ^^

wow, they sell everything nowadays.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:47 pm

Did it work?