I have to make a corset *gack*

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
mindtailor

I have to make a corset *gack*

Post by mindtailor » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:09 pm

Next A-Kon I'm going to try and cosplay as Twinrova's Double Dynamite Attack.
http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/cat ... nrova2.gif

I have to make a corset for said character, but 1. I've never even attempted something like that before and 2. I can't find any sort of pattern that could be modified to make it work.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to where to find patterns that'd work, or alternatives I could use?
no leap in logic is too extreme... for RAGE!

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:33 pm

Find a fur type sustance for the hair. looks like Arab style pants. You might just want to take a bowel shaped like that jewel and paint it.

That's all I know

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:59 pm

yeah I know what I'm going to use for the hair and broom parts (though I'm not sure what to use for the armature for the ice side) and I have the pants (I was a gerudo this past Kon) but I need to know about the corset- perhaps a modified swimsuit would do?

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:10 am

For a corset or bustier (which is what your character looks like she's wearing), you ought to use an actual pattern for that type of undergarment. Check the re-enactment or historical costumes section of the pattern books at the store for something you can use.

That looks like a really cool costume. I look forward to seeing photos of it when you're done! :)

Chione

Post by Chione » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Ok, for a non-expensive version, I would recommend Simplicity pattern 7216 or 9764 (go to Simplicity.com and search for the design numbers). The pic appears to be of a Victorian corset (the kind which gives a wasp-waist/hourglass figure). The Simplicity patterns are styled more after an 1860's light French corset, but will give you basically the same shape.

If, however, you want to invest a bit more, there is a company called Past Patterns which, I believe, has a Victorian Corset Kit. The Kit comes with everything in it you'd need, except the dark material for the covering.

The most expensive option is also the easiest if you don't want to have to make the corset yourself. Amazon Drygoods is a company which services reenactors and period fiends. They have a WONDERFUL corset catalog offering every style you could imagine in a huge range of colors and fabrics. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have the price list to go on, but I know their corsets range from $60-$200+.

If you would like to make one yourself, I do have a couple tips I learned from watching my mother struggle with the corsets she made for me.

1. Always put some type of heavy fabric in your corset. Even with my satin corsets there is a layer (or two, depending on how tight I will wear it) of either duck cloth (heavy canvas) or very heavy denim. This is ultra important when going for a really nipped waist.

2. Remember when sizing you pattern (usually you take your waist measurement and subtract four inches) to leave yourself a 2-inch gap in the back between the sides AFTER you're laced. When you're laced-up, that gap will allow the corset to flex more, and in some corsets, lacing the back completely shut can do very bad things to your back. Like making you feel as though you have a hot knife in your spine, for example. If you're worried about skin being either pinched or people seeing the laces, just use a little extra material, add some snaps, and you have instant camouflage.

3. The best type of stays are strap steel or blunted hacksaw blades. As either one can be a pain to get (either nowehere near you has strap steel or you don't want to waste time dull the blades), your next best bet is to check around the net for plastic stays. They're more flexible than the metal, but you can toss them in the washing machine. I think www.grannd.com carries the boning, and if I remember correctly, they also sell kits.

4. Ok, last and very important, put something between your skin and the corset. Even if you just wrap some doubled up linen around yourself, it will help keep your corset from getting mucky and cut down on welts. I've had really bad ones pop up after running around at a Ren Fest all day, and believe me, you will want to avoid them.

Well, I hope I haven't totally scared you off. ^.^ Corsets aren't the easiest things to make, but they are alot of fun. Plus, depending on what style you opt for, you can also wear it like a bustier with jeans. Toss a funky jacket on and you're ready to hit the clubs![/url]

cloudiestdragon

Post by cloudiestdragon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:42 pm

You could probably find the corset pattern on ebay or a local thrift store ^_^. I have a corset pattern at home. I highly recommend using a pattern @_@
omg no

mindtailor

Post by mindtailor » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:17 pm

thank you so much for the help, chione

Chione

Post by Chione » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:25 am

Anytime, tailor. Be sure to let us all know how it turns out.