Lady Subaru from .hack... HELP!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Rei Ayanami

Lady Subaru from .hack... HELP!

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sat May 29, 2004 11:37 am

I am embarking on my first pattern-less project. So far, I have the top, and I have an overall idea on how to do the skirt, but I really wouldn't mind some tips. What I need help the most is on the sleeves. How do I make poofy sleeves? Since they're not attatched to a shirt or anything, is it wise to put elastic to keep them up?

Also, she has two small wings projecting from her back (Image). Do you think gluing them to my back would solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Ayanami-
*~Sayonara... daisukina Vivian kaoru kimi ga ukabu~*
www.sweet-tragedy.shorturl.com

Hemuloki-sama

Post by Hemuloki-sama » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:23 am

In order to keep the sleeves up, you'll need to either make their arm cuffs smaller than your arm so elastic will be the way to go.

With the wings, you can actually make a harness system in your necklace that will make the wings look like they float. See below if you want an image.

http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/co ... meid=37352

You may have to join if you can't see the image.
A mouth full of popcorn will only get you so far in life~

My Lj also features various Wig tutorials now!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hemuloki_sama
Please be sure to visit my ACP store!
http://www.acparadise.com/display.php?a=10454&t=1

Aurora_Schezar

Post by Aurora_Schezar » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:01 am

I just made a Subaru costume this year. I made a pair of wings out of this foamy green stuff and I stuck the feathers into them. DON'T DO THIS! It doesn't work! Some stupid site said that hot glue doesn't work, but they LIED.

I made a new pair of wings recently, and for them I used an oval-shaped piece of foam and I hot-glued the wings on in layers. (look online for pictures on how to clip birds' wings. They have some excellent diagrams of wings) I did something similar to the image above, where I took a piece of wire around my neck. Then I attached two vertical strips of wire to this and bent the outward at about a 45 degree angle. To attach the wings, I hot glue-gunned them to the part of the wire that was bent outward. If you make your wings yourself, make sure you use strong wire so they don't sag. I braided three strips together. (obviously, the wings are fairly lightweight)

For my sleeves, I stuffed them with tissue paper to get them to stay puffy. (this really worked well) Also, you might want to starch them so they don't droop. I agree that you should make the cuffs with elastic so they don't fall down your arms (that kept happening to mine, because I didn't use elastic >< I really have to fix that.) And, even though it looks like they're not attached on that picture, I still sewed them on to my top, because I was paranoid.

Allright, I'm all done rambling :D I hope I was able to help you, but if anything I said was confusing, you can PM me. Good luck with your costume! SUBARU RULES.

Rei Ayanami

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!

-Ayanami-
*~Sayonara... daisukina Vivian kaoru kimi ga ukabu~*
www.sweet-tragedy.shorturl.com