Yuna Hair Tail + First Time Cosplayer = Fear

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
starkyshark

Yuna Hair Tail + First Time Cosplayer = Fear

Post by starkyshark » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to cosplay and I have a Yuna Gunner Mage outfit almost ready for the San Diego Comic Con. I just need the boots (I'm regretting not thinking of this back in January when the boots were all on sale--blast!) and the hair tail.

The hair tail is freaking me out. I mean, I love Yuna in X-2. But I kind of always hated the hair tail. How scandalous would it be to go without it?

But let's say I wanted to cave into accuracy, how could I make one in the first place? I looked on eBay and there's this seller selling JUST the hair tail for like $60 and the wig and hair tail for $90. I don't need a wig because my hair is light brown and short and can be easily styled into a Yuna type 'do. But that hair tail... I am so not buying a hair tail for sixty bucks.

So I'm looking for advice on the hair tail situation (to tail or not to tail, that is the question). Also, any good ideas on where to get cheap boots this time of year is appreciated. (I found a good pair on eBay, but I'm nervous about buying USED shoes on eBay, or used shoes in general. I mean, don't chiggers and fungus and planters warts live in those things? How can I trust the previous owner didn't have these conditions/parasites?)

Overly paranoid,
--S

Amiya

Post by Amiya » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:19 pm

Well, I made a Yuna hairtail before, even though it was for my Gunner costume, it's still the same basic idea.

I rolled up some newspaper and tape them into the basic shape. Then I wrap/braided 4 pieces of red trim around that. I bought a pack of hair extensions and sewed/glued then to the bottom. Then I sewed a dyed a piece of white fabric and sewed it onto the end. And I added a ribbon to make it resemble the original.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but finished piece is in my gallery~

Good luck with yours!
Cosplay/Commission Website - ID-Cosplay/Personal Website - Chibi-Dreams

starkyshark

Post by starkyshark » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks for responding! That's such a great way to go about it! I like the idea of the newspaper--I was really having a hard time conceptualizing how to make it.

How did you wear it once you made it? I mean, how did you attach it to your head? I saw on your website the costume, and how long it took to make, but I still can't figure out how to wear it once I make it.

Amiya

Post by Amiya » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:21 pm

Well, I used a combination of newspaper and aluminum foil, I guess whatever works ^_^ Before I braided on the red trims, I inserted a hair elastic and braided it around it. When I wore it to the convention, I safety pined it to the pink hoodie and since my hair is a bit long than usual, it didn't show at all...

I had friends *sorry, but I couldn't find any pics*, they made theirs the same way, but one attached a clear strap instead of an elastic band *mine was black* and she tied it around her neck like a choker *I wouldn't recommend this since there are chances that the tail may be stepped on at conventions*. I have another friend who attached two separate clear straps to the hairtail and attached each to one of her bra straps and that looked pretty good too...it really depends on how you want to approach this, but there are loads of ways ^_^ They both look discrete and since you're doing Gunner mage, maybe theirs would be a better idea?
Cosplay/Commission Website - ID-Cosplay/Personal Website - Chibi-Dreams