I need some serious help and QUICK! Please?

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
RainyDayRainbow

I need some serious help and QUICK! Please?

Post by RainyDayRainbow » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:03 pm

No thank's to the musical i got stuck in (which is the same weekend as the con i'm going to (tekko)) i've only been able to make one of the two costume's i've really wanted to make. I need some serious help coming up with a fast, and effective solution to making a Sailor Pluto sailor suit costume. I have the boots, wig, and some black fabric, enough to make the skirt and a little more, but i need some serious help on making

*Tiara
*Earrings
*Body suit

and putting all of it together!

If you can help me in any way i would love you forever and ever!!!!!

Tekko is 2 1/2 weeks away, and i hope i can pull this off *crosses fingers*

Thanks!

Please assist!!!!!!! <3

COS-show

Post by COS-show » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:17 pm

If you can attach some ref. pics that will be helpful for others to help you.
COS-CLUB:http://cos.go.3322.org.
I am the owner of one sewing workshop,If you have an interest in our products pls contact me by email esuian@gmail.com

COS-show

Post by COS-show » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:46 pm

*Tiara
You can cut golden chipboard as the "V" shape refer to the pic and use barrette to rivet its 2ends into the hair.The glabella need a little mucus so that the chipboard could work well.

*Earrings
Use some purple cellophane to glue them on your ears^_^

*Body suit
It's a sewing tech i cant help you with my poor english:(

All above you can buy from market if you have enough money and time.
COS-CLUB:http://cos.go.3322.org.
I am the owner of one sewing workshop,If you have an interest in our products pls contact me by email esuian@gmail.com

Starrys

Post by Starrys » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:41 pm

For the body suit, I'd just get a white leotard or swimsuit. I know it's increadably hard to sew stretchy fabrics (or at least it is for me), so it'd save you a lot of time if you just opt for the easy way out.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 am

Wow, the con is this weekend -- I'm really late to this discussion. Hope the construction has gone well. If you still need suggestions:

a. Tiara can be thrown together with a piece of metallic gold gift wrap ribbon. Not the classiest, but in a pinch, it'll do. Basically, you measure about 16 inches of ribbon and make a fold at the center to create the V shape. Experiment a bit to see what looks best on you. Then you secure the fold with glue or double-sided tape and tape the rest to your forehead when you're ready to get dressed for the con. The loose ends can be pinned to the wig and hidden by the hair. Glue or double stick the gem to the center of the V (also hides the fold), and you're done. Pro: easy to do, clean edges. Con: usable only once, maybe twice because ribbon will usually crease when removed from head at end of day and won't look smooth afterwards.

b. Earrings can be cut from colored craft foam and painted with clear acrylic sealant to make them shiny. If you have pierced ears, glue the foam to a pair of flat earrings - something with a decent amount of area to hold more glue for a secure fit. If you don't have pierced ears, use clip-ons or tape/spirit gum the foam pieces directly to your ears.

c. I agree with the others that a store-bought leotard is the easiest/quickest way to go so you can focus on the the other items that can't be just found on the rack.

The nice thing about these quick fixes is that you can remake these items from better materials later when you have more time and not feel bad as though you're investing a ton of time & effort now. Good luck this weekend. :)

RainyDayRainbow

Post by RainyDayRainbow » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now that i have time to make this costume, i'd like to try again. I'm looking for some help on making the basic body suit and how others added the skirt right too it. I'm still a little confused on that. :D Thanks everyone for replying

~Michiko

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:36 pm

There's an ice skating leotard pattern with an attached skirt that's a popular recommendation. It's made by Green Pepper:
http://www.butterick.com/item/GPF813.htm

The skirt is more like a circle than actual pleats, but it still looks nice.

Kwik Sew 2601 or 3502 are similar patterns.

You might consider keeping the skirt separate and the collar detachable so you can easily wash the leotard without worrying about the color bleeding onto the white. That way, you could also portray different scouts by just changing the skirts & collars while using the same leotard. You'll probably want to install some snaps at the side seams to hold the skirt in place and prevent it from twisting. While you're at it, I guess making a snap crotch would help bathroom breaks go more easily too. (Add an inch to the pattern there so it overlaps comfortably.) :)

Technopoptart

Post by Technopoptart » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:49 pm

mrs.tomoe wrote:There's an ice skating leotard pattern with an attached skirt that's a popular recommendation. It's made by Green Pepper:
http://www.butterick.com/item/GPF813.htm

)
NOOOO!! DONT USE THAT!!!! REALLY!! DONT!!

i have played with that pattern alot and it is horrible if you plan on making a fuku. I am not the most professional of sewers but i have a ton of experience behind me from not just cosplay but theater costume shop jobs. and i tell you now that pattern is really crappy.

Just use a store bought leotard and add to it. its easier and can be put together quick. the first sailor moon costume i made ever (LOL its not in my gallery sorry!! LOL) was made that way and it was made 2 days before neko.

wal-mart carries leotards, strange enough

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Technopoptart wrote:i have played with that pattern alot and it is horrible if you plan on making a fuku. I am not the most professional of sewers but i have a ton of experience behind me from not just cosplay but theater costume shop jobs. and i tell you now that pattern is really crappy.
Ok. I have the pattern but haven't tried it for a sailor uniform. What's so bad about it? People will always have opinions, but if you can give us some specific points, we'll know what to avoid when we look for alternative patterns.

Technopoptart wrote:Just use a store bought leotard and add to it. its easier and can be put together quick.
I prefer this approach too, especially when the color is basic like white, but sometimes, people want to try making their own whether to challenge/improve their skill, for a customized fit, or simply to feel the accomplishment of making it.

Technopoptart

Post by Technopoptart » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:03 am

mrs.tomoe wrote: Ok. I have the pattern but haven't tried it for a sailor uniform. What's so bad about it? People will always have opinions, but if you can give us some specific points, we'll know what to avoid when we look for alternative patterns.
The problems i have come across, (yes i have attempted it many times). is the fitting or sizing is not correct. the sizing is off i cant remeber by how much but it is rediculous!. If you intend to attach the collar and make it a one piece you run into the problem of trying how to get it on. The patterns seems all run in the back which is fine and dandy...you can easily put a zipper in. but its more work then its worth. you would have to have a friend pin the entire zip in while you are weraing it so it will lay right. then try to figure out how to get it off with out popping the pins. and how you are gonna get your head through the collar while trying to put the rest of it on with out killing neck muscles.

Also the seem that "V"'s down is much too high. and you lose your torso.

It will work if you are making the "sailor collar" seperate and just tacking it on or clipping/velcro what ever, while you wear it.
mrs.tomoe wrote:
Technopoptart wrote:Just use a store bought leotard and add to it. its easier and can be put together quick.
I prefer this approach too, especially when the color is basic like white, but sometimes, people want to try making their own whether to challenge/improve their skill, for a customized fit, or simply to feel the accomplishment of making it.
especially if she is in a hurry...store bought is best!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:54 pm

That's very good to know, thanks. Isn't it amazing how some patterns are really big while others run really small? You'd think the companies could at least agree on sizes. Have you tried either of the Kwik Sew ice skating patterns? They look similar to the Green Pepper one, but maybe they're cut better (or worse!).

I don't think I've ever had to install a zipper on stretchy fabric. Must be a pain to get it stretched evenly and not end up with puckered spots. Do you think wearing the item and then marking it and the zipper would work any better? Similar to how patterns use triangles and dots to help align things. We'd still need a friend to assist, but it'd be less dangerous than pins anyway. ^_^

As I said before, I like the idea of keeping the leotard separate from the skirt & collar for the sake of versatility and washing. Whether the leotard is store bought or homemade, it seems more practical to make all the other costume parts detachable.

Technopoptart

Post by Technopoptart » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:59 pm

no.. i havent hear of Kwik Sew.

LOL Zippers in strecthy=DEATH! LOL you wouldnt have to use the zipper approach if you are making the collar seperate..I am actually working on drafting a three/four piece pattern for interchangeable fuku..ie.. you can be mercury one minute then pluto th next only swaping out collars and skirts... its in the making but if i figure it out i'll deffinately take a picture of the pattern pieces and scan them in to others can enlarge it and use it them selves...I am soo close but i want the collar to look like its attached much like the school uniforms. n-e how..

I did try the dot and mark approach but it still gets wierd and bunchy.. its a no win situation!! ^^