Advent Children Tifa help

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Ichigo Jinx

Advent Children Tifa help

Post by Ichigo Jinx » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi everyone,

I need help on fixing the vest on my Tifa costume from Advent Children. I had it commisioned but the shoulders on the vest are way too wide.

in the movie you can see the white shirt under it quite a bit on the shoulders, I have a white tank top that has really wide shoulders but the vest shoulders almost go over the edge of my shoulders and you can't see the white shirt at all so they're too big/wide.

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/02/Ad ... ii-dvd.jpg

my mom said that I could just go with the curve of the arm hole and cut it to make it thinner on the top but I thought I'd post here to see if anybody had any suggestions before I started chopping away at it ^^ thanks in advance

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:27 am

If the armholes have been stitched (which they should have if your tailor actually finished the vest), you should undo the stitching all the way around before doing any cutting.

Pay attention to how it was stitched so that you can duplicate it when you refinish the armholes.

Once you've got the stitches out and the seam/hem unfolded, measure. How wide do you want the shoulders to be? 2 or 3 inches? Add 1/2 or 5/8 to that for the seam/hem allowance, then measure and cut. The armhole will be a different shape from when you started because you'll be taking away more from the top than the bottom.

Fold in the edges, and stitch to finish the armholes. The whole alteration should be fairly simple, but without looking at the actual vest you have & how it was made, I can't really say. Good luck! ^_^

Ichigo Jinx

Post by Ichigo Jinx » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:38 pm

thanks! I didn't think I'd get that great of a reply Lol I'm gonna get started on it tonight ^^

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:09 pm

You're welcome. ^_^

Forgot to mention that if you're a bit nervous about cutting off too much, cut a little less than you think you ought to, and try the vest on to see. You can always cut off more, but you can't add it back if you overdo on the first pass. ^^;

And from the bottom of the armhole, you probably don't need to cut any off (maybe just a sliver) so you're sort of tapering from the shoulder to the bottom.

Well, have fun. ^_^