I've never made a costume, please help!

Need help with sewing techniques, or making a 10 ft sword? Seek help from other cosplayers here!
Princess Yucie

I've never made a costume, please help!

Post by Princess Yucie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 pm

I want to make a Sailor Saturn costume, but I don't know what kind of fabric. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

This is what I want to make!

zaitenaiji

Post by zaitenaiji » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:15 pm

You can use any kind of fabric you want, unless you are on a budget or aren't willing to pay a lot for the costume. For a simple costume, you can use a cotton, polyester, or a mix of both, which I believe is the most common.

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:29 pm

If you're not only new to costuming but to sewing in general, it's probably a good idea to buy a white leotard for a base instead of trying to make it yourself. Then you can concentrate on making the collar, skirt, and bows which are work enough for a first costume.

Any light to medium weight, woven fabric will do. You don't want a thick fabric because the pleating in the skirt would get bulky and be a pain to sew. It's generally good to stay away from shiny fabric too because it always turns out really glaring in photos. A little shine goes a long way. Having shiny bows would be ok since they're accessories, but you don't want your whole outfit to be reflective.

So yeah...I dunno whether that bit of rambling helped you at all. Good luck with Saturn; she's one of my favorite characters too. ^_^

Princess Yucie

Post by Princess Yucie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks so much! That advise really did help!

mrs.tomoe

Post by mrs.tomoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:53 am

Oh good! You're welcome. ^_^

If you have more questions as you go along making the costume, post again, and we'll see if we can help. I pretty sure some folks here have made Sailor Scout uniforms before so they should have some tips for various parts of the costume. It's no good piling it all onto you at the beginning, though, so we'll just wait til you ask. Have fun!

HikariChino

Post by HikariChino » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 pm

I have a question: I'm new at sewing, so can anyone give a newbie's guide to a pleated skirt? (I think I can do the rest) Or is it better to just find a pleated skirt?

beautifuldreamer1289
Location: 0.o why do YOU want to know? stay away from me you stalker! *runs and hides*

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:04 am

buy a pattern that looks like what you want and it will tell you exactly what to do. for any terminology in the pattern directions you dont know, look it up online, and follow the directions exactly, and you will get what you want.
if you cnat find the right pattern, buy one thats close and make it, then edit it.
i would put something deep and meaningful here...

but im too lazy.

that and i dont really have anything deep or meaningful to say

HikariChino

Post by HikariChino » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Ok, what materials do I need for the costume? (my mom asked and I couldn't say what)

beautifuldreamer1289
Location: 0.o why do YOU want to know? stay away from me you stalker! *runs and hides*

Post by beautifuldreamer1289 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:33 pm

fabric and sewing supplies reli... go to the fabric store and feel all the fabrics (molest them, i like to say XD) and pick which one is the best fit for your needs and go from there.
i would put something deep and meaningful here...

but im too lazy.

that and i dont really have anything deep or meaningful to say